RE: Technical Writing vs. Professional Writing

Subject: RE: Technical Writing vs. Professional Writing
From: "Lane, Sion" <slane -at- thrupoint -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 11:41:29 +0100

My most positive and baffling response came from a professional
diver/stuntman.

After an intensive diving course I was chatting to the intsructor about
what he did day-to-day and his answer was along the lines of "I do a lot of
salvaging shipwrecks, recovering valuable cargo, but I also work on films
and I've just spent the last 2 weeks working on the latest James Bond Film
(would have been Die Another Day). It was great, we got to drive Aston
Martins around on ice for 2 weeks. What do you do?"

I then rather embarassedly explained what I did, to which his response was
"That sounds amazing". I of course questioned this response and asked if he
was being sarcastic, to which he replied "Not at all, I suppose the grass
is always greener..."

Proof, if any were needed, that being a technical writer is better than
getting paid to pretend to be James Bond...

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 10:22:05 -0400
From: Joyce -dot- Fetterman -at- L-3com -dot- com
To: "Matthew Helmke" <matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com>,
63F43EA99B06CE4594D16F2902CF5F46F22BA3 -at- l3c-xchg-disp -dot- displays -dot- l-3com -dot- com>

Matthew Helmke wrote:
I just say, "I'm a writer." When asked what I write, I tailor the
response to the audience and it will range from highly technical
definitions (for software dev types) to "I write whatever people need
written," which is true as I have worked outside of technical
documentation.

I usually answer in a similar way, since much of the writing that I do
isn't software-specific. It often opens a discussion about types of
writing.

However, last weekend I was attending a CERT training class. The
instructor, an EMT, asked us to introduce ourselves and say what we do
for a living. I simply said that I am a tech writer; his response was
"Oh, wow!", delivered in a sincere and appreciative tone. (People who
depend on accurate writing DO appreciate us.) Made me feel all warm and
fuzzy.

Later I was even warmer (though less fuzzy) as, on the hottest day ever
recorded in Atlanta, we went outside to practice fire-suppression
drills! Yes, we set fires so that we could practice putting them out.
Great fun.

Joyce Fetterman

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Thrupoint, Inc.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help