Re: Do you share? Are you unmutual?

Subject: Re: Do you share? Are you unmutual?
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 16:06:27 -0500

I've never encountered a policy that draconian but most organizations I've worked with have a shared directory on a file server where users at all levels can store and share files so having a shared directory on an individual workstation wouldn't be necessary and would probably be a pain anyway. I've never even thought of doing it that way. One of the advantages of having files stored on a shared server is that those files get backed up on a daily basis. I usually use a directory on a shared server for daily backups of the files on my own computer. That's especially important with a laptop... when I'm in the office, I back up to the shared server at the end of the day so that if anything happens to the laptop on the way home or back to the office, there's no loss of data. I also back up to that same shared server via VPN from home before traveling if I've modified files on the laptop while working at home.

Best regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr WriteStarr Information Services
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 7/5/2012 3:57 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin wrote:

This is for those of you who live and work in security-conscious environments.

Is it common that file sharing among workstations be forbidden, across-the-board?

Obviously, one can still share via dedicated file servers, or (in some cases) via
Remote Desktop, but has your workplace put the kibosh on you having a
declared shared directory on your desktop or laptop?

Is it a big inconvenience, or pretty much a non-issue?

-k

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mike -at- writestarr -dot- com -dot-

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help