NEW vs. OLD Technology - RE: document your job?

Subject: NEW vs. OLD Technology - RE: document your job?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:39:12 -0400

My point was that many today sing praises of the wonders of "new" technology
that is really old technology that has grown and improved as hopefully most
things do.

Sitting by the pool is a result in networking technology improving to
include wireless connections. Actually, that goes back a LONG time, in some
way, shape or form. Amateur radio groups worked on ways to send data and
control items by radio decades before any of the current Wi Fi we all have
today existed. They didn't have IP until that was developed in the mid '80s,
although there were other communication protocols.

Sitting around a pool networked with a laptop in 1986 was nearly impossible,
but much of the ideas were in place or moving that way. Unfortunately, the
"laptop" of the day would have been IBM's Portable PC, and you would have
only have had it on your lap by the pool if you were big, strong, and not
real smart having something plugged into an outlet while sitting next to the
water. :)

Doubtful you would even had a network at home, but I knew one guy who did.
Never figured how he got one from IBM, but he did. Still, there was the old
300 baud modem if you were desperate. Same basic technology, just many,
many improvements ago.

It isn't much different in other areas, like cars. Many praise fuel
injection as a wonderful new thing, but it has been around a long time. I
don't think GM has had a carb on a car since 1990. And while you may not
like to take a cross country trip in a 1957 250 hp Fuel Injected Corvette
with a potential for around 22 mpg (or maybe you would - bet your wife
wouldn't after 50 miles, especially in summer), it is the basic technology
that makes the current 430 hp electronic fuel injected Corvette something
you could probably get your wife to actually ride across country in, since
you'd be riding comfortably and getting 30 mpg while running with the air
conditioning and stereo on, two features not in the '57 model. However,
improvements in technology have made the new one much more comfortable and
capable than the old one.

I used my first touch screen in 1987. No way you can compare it to the touch
screen on most portable devices of today. Just like comparing a 1986
Macintosh to a current iMac, the same basic stuff is there like a neat GUI
and a mouse and the click-drag-paste-etc. functions. Yet you would not begin
to do all you can do on an iMac today on an old Macintosh 26 years ago.
Still, how would you feel about someone raving over the GUI of a new iMac as
though it was the "new" thing?

Sorry to leave the old days behind? Not at all. I'm working on a worn-out
seven year old computer (because I don't want the good computer at this job)
that many handheld devices can outshine. Yet this laptop can run circles
around anything we had access to in '86. And the 32 GB stick in the side is
more storage space than 1000 of the PCs I had then, and most wondered what I
would do with all the storage of that "huge" drive, since the typical one of
the time had a 10 Mb drive.

I can watch old episodes of "The Rifleman' or this week's TV shows if I miss
them, but back then, unless I happened to set a tape in the VCR, I couldn't'
watch the TV show and no way would I find "The Rifleman". (Now "Route 66" is
what I really want.)

I can get enough mail from work to make them think I am working.

I can actually do work since they leave me along, assuming I am faking work
and won't answer anyway.

I can take 18 Megapixel pictures, download them to the computer, edit to get
the look I want, and send to anyone in most places of the world in minutes
rather than having to spend a long time framing my shot, bracketing with
several shots to ensure the right exposure, sending the film off to a lab,
to get it back a few days later, marking the prints for custom printing and
waiting more days, then snail mailing the picture to someone as you had to
do in 1986. Although, I was using a scanner in 1987 to digitize pictures to
embed them in documents, but it was a much more involved process than
dropping them on the flatbed today, and clicking scan. And very few had the
equipment to receive such files and do anything with them, even after I did
it.

All while sitting around the pool. :)

This is why you may want to document your job, as you can pull up all the
neat things you did years before all the know-it-all kids of today who think
they invented this stuff were even born.

LOL