RE: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for August 10, 2012

Subject: RE: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for August 10, 2012
From: "Steve Janoff (non-Celgene)" <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com>
To: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:35:51 -0700

Hi Connie,

It's a pleasure to contribute to the TechWhirl list, and a special pleasure to be singled out in the weekly recap.

If I could just clarify one thing, the purpose of the referenced thread was never about attempting to find an overarching role or theme for what we do. It was merely to try to examine, understand, and characterize a new role that I found myself in, which is a role that falls well within the total scope of Technical Communications and is only a very small part of what we do.

What I found most interesting about the role is that, for me, it has provided a refreshing alternative to the usual menu of user manuals and online help. It also seems to provide some interesting promise or direction for the future, but I will leave that to those who get paid to prognosticate such things. :) I will say that, for any Technical Communicator who is interested, it does seem to offer an alternative pathway in the face of what *seems* to be, at least, a shrinking need for the standard fare of user manuals and online help.

Thank you again for the opportunity to contribute to the list, and to you and Al for providing and maintaining such a valuable resource for us in this field. I'm always fascinated by the many and varied things we discuss.

Have a great weekend!

Best wishes,

Steve