Re: OT: 11 English Resume writing techniques for bilinguals

Subject: Re: OT: 11 English Resume writing techniques for bilinguals
From: yehoshua paul <ysp10182 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Steve Schwarzman <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:57:19 -0400

One of these days, I am going to turn off a potential employer because I
didn't bother proofreading an e-mail:(

I used to work for a translation agency, and would often receive resumes
that needed to be translated from Hebrew into English. Most of them were
fairly horrific, and I kind of became numb to seeing resumes that were 4-5
pages long, included way too much personal information, incomplete
information on relevant job experience, and different fonts, font sizes,
and inconsistent bolding and capitalization (for stuff that was already
written in English).

The worst part was that I was unable to contact the owner of the resume to
help fill in missing information and receive permission to delete
irrelevant stuff. My job was to translate the document, not edit it. And
there was no expectation, nor desire for me to improve on the source. The
work I turned in to that agency was of extremely low quality, and as soon
as I found another job, I quit working for them.

So I would say that it is always important to have your resume reviewed by
a close friend, or unbiased third party, especially if it is translated
into a language in which you are not a native speaker.

My two cents,
Yehoshua

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 7:47 PM, Steve Schwarzman <steve -at- writersbookmall -dot- com

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help