Re: Help with Gmail Filters

Subject: Re: Help with Gmail Filters
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "Steve Janoff \(non-Celgene\)" <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:36:06 -0700 (PDT)

I contacted Katrina Knight (the Eudora super-duper expert) regarding the thread
here about Eudora and I was a little-bit off, but not too much. Here is her
reply:

[begin reply from Katrina Knight]

At 01:54 PM 08/29/2012 Ken Poshedly wrote:

> I (Ken) hadn't followed the entire thread, so I stated that much and then went
>on to give a nice description of and recommended Eudora. My final comment
>before closing was, "The thing is, though, that Thunderbird is really Eudora
>but with a new name and not all the features."
>
> Am I incorrect? The reason I ask is that a few e-mails followed that make me
>wonder.

Hello Ken,

You are indeed incorrect. I think you're sort of remembering something and
have it backwards. Thunderbird is not related to Eudora in any way. "Eudora 8"
on the other hand is Thunderbird in disguise, made to look and act more like
Eudora. It is not based on any previous version of Eudora.

> From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
> To:techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

> I seem to recall that a few years ago when Qualcomm divested itself of
> Eudora, it was passed on to the Mozilla Foundation (makers of both
> Thunderbird and Firebird) and at some point the Thunderbird code was
> merged into the Eudora code so that ultimately Eudora is now a version
> of Thunderbird.

This is a bit of an exaggeration. "Eudora 8" didn't involve a merging of code.
It was simply some Eudora developers having at the existing Thunderbird code to
make it act more like Eudora in an attempt to not abandon Eudora users.
Qualcomm paid them to do that for a not inconsiderable length of time.

-- Katrina Knight
kknight -at- fastmail -dot- fm

Feel free to check out my blog about computer-related stuff.
http://kknightcomputers.dreamwidth.org

[end reply from Katrina Knight]