Re: Technical Communication Poll: Best Career Prospects

Subject: Re: Technical Communication Poll: Best Career Prospects
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riveraintech -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:12:22 -0700

Dan, if I read you correctly, I think you're comparing companies who treat
content as an asset as opposed to a commodity. I prefer working for
companies who believe in the tech writer's responsibility to ensure the
content has value, and isn't produced just to maintain the ISO
certification.

A lot of companies just pump out "a document" because that's what they know
to do. Then they repeat the work every time a new version comes out. But
what if the user's work environment would be more efficient if the
documentation were provided by different means, which may or may not
involve "a document"?

I think marketing writers have grasped the fluidity of social media tools
more than technical writers. Technical writers who embrace these intuitive
tools spend most of their time in embedded user interface and user
experience tasks. Generalization. Yes.

-Tony

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help