Re: Having fun with your resume - good idea/bad idea

Subject: Re: Having fun with your resume - good idea/bad idea
From: yehoshua paul <ysp10182 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 18:54:37 +0300

Dana wrote:
"As someone who hires tech writers, software testers, and software support
personnel, I have no time for games or "cutesy" resumes. Send me a
well-organized resume that effectively highlights your skills and
experience, and accomplish it without typos. THAT would get my attention."
Before I apply for a job, any job, I always do research into the company
that I am applying to. This includes, for example, using LinkedIn to see if
there is anyone I know who works in the company, reading the company blog,
checking out their website, etc.

My default choice is to send in a traditional resume that is tailored to
the company and to the position I am applying for. However, sometimes I
encounter companies (like the one I reference in my article) where more is
encouraged and even expected. If I were to apply to a position at that
company I would probably supplement my resume with a video, or send in a
Star Wars crawl resume. If I were to apply to a position at Dana's company,
I would never even consider this option, and I'd make sure to edit my
resume thoroughly before sending it in.

Comments until now, on all the forums that I have posted have been pretty
mixed. There is a slight majority leaning towards the traditional resume,
but more than one employer has openly written that supplementing a resume
with something creative makes the candidate stand out positively.

My personal recommendation, before taking any risks, do your research first.
Yehoshua Paul,
Your friendly neighbourhood technical writer

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help