Re: OT: Sturgeon's Law and other eponymous laws

Subject: Re: OT: Sturgeon's Law and other eponymous laws
From: sphilip <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: lcortese -at- townisp -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 20:15:15 +0700

As I already said, it falls far short of the standards of evidence required in either science or logic for accepting a novel claim as true. In science, that means you have to give some evidence for believing it based on either observation or confirmable prediction. In logic, that means you have to show how the claim follows logically from the premises. Both of these standard criteria seem absent, though I'm willing to consider any that you want to bring forward.

Whenever someone makes a novel claim in any discipline, the onus of proof is on the person making the claim. What is the evidence that Sturgeon's law is true, apart from your personal opinion? I don't need to prove it's not true any more than I need to prove that fairies don't exist. In both cases, there's simply no good reason to accept the proposition in the first place.



On 10 Sep 2012, at 20:08, lcortese -at- townisp -dot- com wrote:



> I say it's valid and you say it's not valid? Prove it.
>
>
>> On 10 Sep 2012, at 02:19, lcortese -at- townisp -dot- com wrote:
>>
>>> On what evidence? The best kind, life experience.
>>>
>>> There's nothing irrational about it. Sturgeon's Law is an estimable
>>> reflection on the nature of reality.
>>>
>>> Larry
>>>
>>
>>
>> One man's hand is another man's fist. This kind of anecdotal evidence
>> falls far short of either the standards of empirical evidence or logical
>> validity required to establish something as either an empirical
>> generalisation or universal truth.
>>
>> P
>>
>>
>
>


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Create and publish documentation through multiple channels with Doc-To-Help. Choose your authoring formats and get any output you may need.

Try Doc-To-Help, now with MS SharePoint integration, free for 30-days.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


Follow-Ups:

References:
Re: OT: Sturgeon's Law and other eponymous laws: From: lcortese

Previous by Author: Re: OT: Sturgeon's Law and other eponymous laws
Next by Author: Re: Chrome and keyboards
Previous by Thread: Re: OT: Sturgeon's Law and other eponymous laws
Next by Thread: RE: OT: Sturgeon's Law and other eponymous laws


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads