Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for September 28, 2012
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:40:19 -0400

*This week’s update on technical communication and the TechWhirl community
is supported by Platinum sponsor Adobe & their Technical Communication
Suite 4 <http://bit.ly/TryAdobeTCS4> | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT *

The beginning of autumn in North America always seems to bring a flurry of
activity, and it’s as true in technical communication as anywhere else.
to a reluctant close, and starting on what will be an extraordinarily busy
October. Yehoshua Paul provided valuable perspective and guidance on Management
and Leadership in Technical
Writing<http://techwhirl.com/skills/soft/management-and-leadership-in-technical-writing/>,
and the management track was the focus of this week’s technical
communication poll<http://techwhirl.com/business/polls/technical-communication-poll-planning-for-a-management-role/>.
And we were delighted to have Mark Baker (Every Page Is Page
One<http://everypageispageone.com/>)
join us again with another intriguing piece that is sure to jumpstart some
lively discussion on The Paradox of Tech
Comm<http://techwhirl.com/business/the-paradox-of-tech-comm/>
.

If you’re wondering why October will be so frightfully busy, the calendar
does provide some clues. TechWhirl heads to Portland for the LavaCon
Conference 2012 <http://lavacon.org/2012/>, and not only are we preparing
to deliver sessions on change management and building winning business
cases, we’re delivering some sneak previews of several of the other great
sessions scheduled for the conference by way of the TechWhirl Fast 5
Interviews <http://techwhirl.com/focus/techwhirl-fast-5/>. Check out the video
chat with Stephen Ryden-Lloyd of
Innodata<http://techwhirl.com/business/interviews/the-mobile-user-experience-techwhirl-fast-5-interview-with-stephen-ryden-lloyd/>,
and a written chat with Ann
Rockley<http://techwhirl.com/focus/techwhirl-fast-5/>on the future of
technical communications and content strategy—just waiting
for your consumption and commentary. And if you’re thinking international,
it’s worth taking a look at our guide to the tcworld conference and tekom
trade fair<http://techwhirl.com/conferences/tcworld-conference-and-tekom-trade-fair/>,
which takes place in late October in Wiesbaden, Germany.

During October, TechWhirl is asking a fascinating philosophical question:
Is Tech Comm Art? As if by magic, the email discussion list has taken up a
thread that bears on the question, and TechWhirlers debate the need for
exposure to journalism<http://www.techwr-l.com/archives/1209/techwhirl-1209-00282.html#.UGXQZE2HKSo>and
poetry, among other things. We’ll take a look at some other aspects of
creativity, art, science and craftsmanship this month. And that leads very
nicely into our second annual Tech Writer Halloween Horror Stories
extravaganza. We’re pretty convinced at this point that everyone in
technical communication has at least one horror story, true or nearly true,
that needs telling. And you’re invited to participate—it’s a chance to show
off your creative side (should you believe that you have one), and
entertain your colleagues and fellow victims.

As always, there’s plenty of technical communication news to catch up on,
and a slew of jobs appearing on our jobs site (along with a new entry in
the Tech Comm Job Search Journal <http://jobs.techwhirl.com/blog/>). Enjoy.

Have a great weekend!

-The gang at TechWhirl

In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Importance of Content Strategy in an Increasingly Mobile World:
- Tech Writer This Week for September 27, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/SnrxIy
- tcworld Conference and tekom Trade Fair — Is this your year to go?, by
Jennifer Dickerman and Al Martine| http://bit.ly/UWCnpD
- Technical Communication Poll: Planning for a Management Role |
http://bit.ly/Sm1EsE
- The Mobile User Experience: TechWhirl Fast 5 Interview with Stephen
Ryden-Lloyd | http://bit.ly/UuApcT
- The Paradox of Tech Comm, by Mark Baker | http://bit.ly/UDpJgA
- Management & Leadership in Technical Writing, by Yehoshua Paul |
http://bit.ly/Qz8mYL

*Tech Comm News on http://News.TechWhirl.com <http://news.techwhirl.com/>:*

- Mindjet Connect Named People’s Choice Stevie Award Winner |
http://bit.ly/SE9vTG
- ProcessDATA Launches PolicyCOMPLETE – a Secure Cloud Solution for
Policy and Procedure Management | http://bit.ly/P5ZBnQ
- Lectora Adopts New Tin Can API in Upcoming Releases |
http://bit.ly/QApCji
- SDL Named a “Leader” in Magic Quadrant for Web Content Management |
http://bit.ly/UPLng0
- Digital Publishing and Content Technology Veteran Dan Dube Joins
Aptara | http://bit.ly/PRn6Df

*Tech Comm Job Search Journal*

· Networking: Preparing for the Informational Interview - TechWhirl
Tech Comm Jobs | http://bit.ly/Shup5W
Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Society for Technical Communication (STC)
<http://www.stc.org/>, Vancouver
Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl