Re: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?

Subject: Re: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:50:40 -0700

Same. I once religiously used a "conventions" page, modeled after my
favorite user manual of all time (the original Aldus PageMaker set). Now,
nothing.

> Chris

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>wrote:

> At one time I had a mini guide in my docs. ****
>
> ** **
>
> Something that said what field and boxes and all that stuff is. ****
>
> ** **
>
> But if people don’t already know, I seriously doubt they’d have any reason
> to be using our products.****
>
>
> So I deleted it. Haven’t heard a peep from anyone.****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* Kat Kuvinka [mailto:katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com]
> *Sent:* Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:45 PM
> *To:* Cardimon, Craig; salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
> *Subject:* RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?****
>
> ** **
>
>
> A lot of times it is in the nature of your product. The narrower your
> customer base, the more you can assume.
>
> I know that our trainers taught our customers not to click-and-drag, but
> instead to drag-and-drop. So I did go to ponderous lengths in one place to
> describe what I meant by drag-and-drop, then used it throughout. I know
> that users are not gonna read that section where I tell them what a window
> is, what a text field is, what a pop-up is, etc. but I still add my mini
> style-guide to my user docs for everybody's reference.
>
>
> >
> > I find it interesting that some of us believe we can't assume anything,
> and others believe we must assume some things.
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [
> mailto:techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com<techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>]
> On Behalf Of Chris Morton
> > Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:50 PM
> > To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > Subject: Re: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?
> >
> > In my world I can assume nothing, so pedantic it is.
> >
> > I don't think I'd instruct them to release the mouse button, however.
> > They're going to have difficulty going on break (or home) if this
> gesture isn't inherent.
> >
> > > Chris
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM, Kathleen MacDowell <
> kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> >
> > > How ponderous would it be to say
> > >
> > > You can move Tool One by clicking on it and dragging it into the
> > > desired position.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't add anything about releasing it; people will find out soon
> > > enough, unless there's something tricky about how that should happen
> > > or the function doesn't work correctly...
> > >
> > > I start wondering about how pedantic I need to be after I've written
> > > lots of descriptions like this. But the thing is, if you keep them
> > > short, you make sure your audience at least knows the minimal
> > > capabilities of the product.
> > >
> > > At least that's how I approach it. YMMV :-)
> > >
> > > On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com
> <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com%0b>> > >wrote:
> > >
> > > > I was wondering how pedantic I need to be, and how brief I could be.
> > > >
> > > > Why wouldn't "drag" suffice?
> > > >
> > > > The audience should be computer literate.
> > > >
> > > > I am pondering just how "ponderous" I need to be.
> > > >
> > > > From: Kat Kuvinka [mailto:katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com<katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>
> ]
> > > > Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:06 AM
> > > > To: Cardimon, Craig; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > > > Subject: RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?
> > > >
> > > > Depends on your audience and if you have attempted somewhere to
> > > > teach
> > > them
> > > > what it means to drag. And drop. They should drop after dragging,
> yes?
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Maybe I've been staring at this too long, but if some items need
> > > > > to be
> > > > dragged around, would you say:
> > > > >
> > > > > "Click-and-drag Tool One where you want it."
> > > > >
> > > > > Or Just:
> > > > >
> > > > > "Drag Tool One where you want it."
> > > > >
> > > > > --Craig
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
> > > > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email,
> > > > do not read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including
> > > > any attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please
> > > immediately
> > > > notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
> > > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > > Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help,
> > > because
> > > > your project can be up and running in 3 steps.
> > > >
> > > > See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post.
> > > > http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps
> > > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > >
> > > > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
> > > >
> > > > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > > > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > > > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more
> resources
> > > > and info.
> > > >
> > > > Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
> > > online
> > > > magazine at http://techwhirl.com
> > > >
> > > > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our
> > > > public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kathleen MacDowell
> > > kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com
> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help,
> > > because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.
> > >
> > > See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post.
> > > http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps
> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
> > >
> > > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> > >
> > >
> > > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
> > > and info.
> > >
> > > Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
> > > online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
> > >
> > > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our
> > > public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> > >
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help,
> because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.
> >
> > See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post.
> http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com -dot-
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> >
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
> >
> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
> online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
> >
> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> > Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not
> read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any
> attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help,
> because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.
> >
> > See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post.
> http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> >
> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> >
> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
> and info.
> >
> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our
> online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
> >
> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives****
>
> ------------------------------
> Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not
> read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any
> attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
>
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help, because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.

See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post. http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


References:
"Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Cardimon, Craig
RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Kat Kuvinka
RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Cardimon, Craig
Re: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Kathleen MacDowell
Re: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Chris Morton
RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Cardimon, Craig
RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Kat Kuvinka
RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?: From: Cardimon, Craig

Previous by Author: Re: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?
Next by Author: Re: When to use the word "button" -- ?
Previous by Thread: RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?
Next by Thread: RE: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads