Re: His/Her v. Their

Subject: Re: His/Her v. Their
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:50:39 -0500

I'm with Craig. However, I often find that using "their" leads to passive
constructions and causes tense or subject/verb problems, either with the
current sentence or the overall context. So it's something to watch out for
when you use it.

Kathleen

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>wrote:

> I tend to use either "you" or, in the case you mentioned, "their."
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:
> techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of
> Becca
> Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 10:09 AM
> To: tech2wr-l
> Subject: His/Her v. Their
>
> Some documents I'm editing of necessity give procedures in third person
> rather than the assumed (you) second person. There's no way around this.
>
> In the document I'm editing, they use His/Her. My inclination is to use
> "their" - comments?
>
> Regards,
>
>
> Becca
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help, because
> your project can be up and running in 3 steps.
>
> See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post.
> http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
> Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not
> read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any
> attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help, because
> your project can be up and running in 3 steps.
>
> See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post.
> http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
> info.
>
> Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online
> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public
> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>



--
Kathleen MacDowell
kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Writer Tip: You have more time to author content with Doc-To-Help, because your project can be up and running in 3 steps.

See the &#8220;Getting Started with Doc-To-Help&#8221; blog post. http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-3-steps
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


References:
His/Her v. Their: From: Becca
RE: His/Her v. Their: From: Cardimon, Craig

Previous by Author: Re: "Click-and-drag" or just "drag" -- ?
Next by Author: Re: His/Her v. Their
Previous by Thread: Re: His/Her v. Their
Next by Thread: RE: His/Her v. Their


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads