RE: His/Her v. Their

Subject: RE: His/Her v. Their
From: Ben Davies <bdavies -at- imris -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:14:56 +0000

"Nice work, but the lack of qualifiers for some of these phrases can lead to ambiguity or awkwardness. Like, whose homework?"

The students' homework. It is a logical implication.

"The context of the secretary phrase change a bit in the rewrite and now raises the question, secretaries should remain calm, when?"

Remain calm at all times. How is that confusing? Leonard's original sentence did not clarify when secretaries should remain calm. Leonard's original sentence said secretaries should keep their tempers in check... I could say the same thing... when?

"When the phrase referred to "his temper" it was clear what the sentence was discussing."

So staying calm has nothing to do with controlling your temper? My sentence has the same meaning with different words.