Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for November 2, 2012
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 07:53:42 -0400

*This week’s update on technical communication and the TechWhirl community
is supported by Platinum sponsor ComponentOne & their Doc-To-Help Help
Authoring Tool <http://goo.gl/QcMWA> | http://bit.ly/doc-to-help*

Halloween is over, and the second storm of the century has passed, leaving
destruction, frustration, and remarkable resilience in its wake. As we move
into November, it’s almost eerie that TechWhirl chose as our theme “Helping
Society and Tech Comm,” with an eye towards exploring some lesser known
edges of technical communication, such as disaster preparedness,
accessibility, and using our skills in volunteer capacities. Fortuitous or
serendipitous just don’t have the right connotation consider the struggles
so many along the northeast corridor of the US are going through. But it’s
a truly worthwhile subject to explore, and our Special Writers Unit has
some fascinating content coming your way. To get started, take this week’s
poll on ways you spend your volunteer time<http://techwhirl.com/weekly-polls/>
.

Enjoy the creepiest the season had to offer with the 2012 Tech Writer
Horror Stories, and balance that with a summary from
LavaCon<http://techwhirl.com/skills/project/lava12-doc-teams-web-analytics-value/>,
a look at the father of XML, and our final October theme article from Lois
Patterson on Advances in Automatic Content
Production<http://techwhirl.com/business/trends/automatic-content-production/>.
And as always, a swath of new opportunities and some resume
guidance<http://jobs.techwhirl.com/blog/>appear on the tech comm jobs
site, as well as lots of buzz to enjoy on the email
discussion list <http://www.techwr-l.com/>.

Have a great weekend!

-The gang at TechWhirl

In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for November1, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/SxlVMA
- XML Myths and Visions: Revisiting the Words of the Father of XML, by
Don Smith | http://bit.ly/V6MtWE
- Can Computers Write? Advances in Automatic Content Production, by Lois
Patterson | http://bit.ly/SpHLSa
- How Documentation Teams Can Use Web Analytics to Expand Their
Corporate Value, by Rachel Houghton | http://bit.ly/TOSK3s

*Tech Writer Halloween Horror Stories:*

- Welcome to Neunet, by Jen Phillips | http://bit.ly/PFKAiP
- Post-Zombie Apocalypse Feature: The Cross-Metabolic Workforce, by
Cheryl Voloshin | http://bit.ly/S5rA8O
- Onshoring: A Zombie Success Story - Part 2, by Geoff Hart |
http://bit.ly/U7bSKA
- Onshoring: A Zombie Success Story - Part 1, by Geoff Hart |
http://bit.ly/Toau9Q
- Tips and Tricks or Treats: Tech Writer's Guide to Zombie Spotting, by
Roger Renteria | http://bit.ly/Vsbo2s

*Tech Comm News on http://News.TechWhirl.com <http://news.techwhirl.com/>:*

- Early Discount Deadline for Gilbane Boston 2012 | http://bit.ly/RhYm5T
- Acrobat XI: PDF Production Now Compatible with Microsoft 360 and
SharePoint | http://bit.ly/RdXYFA

*From Tech Comm Jobs:*

· Resumes – How to get them “just right”, by Alissa Martine |
http://jobs.techwhirl.com/blog/

· A Halloween Flavored Technical Communication Jobs Week in Review
| http://bit.ly/YawVjs
Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Society for Technical Communication (STC)
<http://www.stc.org/>, Vancouver
Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl
Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help &#8213; including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs