Quark 8 to InDesign 6

Subject: Quark 8 to InDesign 6
From: sphilip <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 23:06:37 +0700

I've been round the forums and blogs with this, but I don't like any of the answers. Time to ask the experts… ;)

Just moved to ID6. I have a back catalog of files in QXP8. I'd like to convert them.

The only converter program seems to be something called Q2ID which costs around $200.

My QXP stuff is non-commercial (instructional materials for my university teaching), and after forking out for ID6, I'm a bit reluctant to spend another lump on a conversion program. My university will not pay for the conversion (they couldn't care less about how we produce learning materials, or how long we spend doing it - one of the benefits they get of being an educational employer I suppose….).

I have seen that it's possible to back convert if you have successive version of QXP from 8 down to 4 (ID will apparently open QXP4 files). But I don't.

So here's the question:

Anyone found a way of doing this? I find it hard to believe there is only ONE file converter program for this on the market. No freeware anywhere?

What if I dust off my Python skills, brush down the smattering of C I learned a few years ago, login in to my trusty Bash terminal, or crack out Xcode? How hard can it be to write a script to do this myself? Anyone got any ideas what I'd need to do?

Any suggestions welcome - or a link to an open source file converter if you wanna make my day!

Best

Phil
http://applehelpwriter.wordpress.com

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs