TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
John Posada asked about setting up a numbered style for Word tables:
1. Create a style, such as Table Title, (based on no style).
2. Use the paragraph specs to set the spacing and centering/indent, etc.
3. Select Format Numbering and Bullets.
4. Select the Numbered tab.
5. Select a numbering format.
6. Check the restart Numbering checkbox and click Customize.
7. Make the font and paragraph Indent/centering match your paragraph
description for the style.
8. Enter Table (and a space) before the shaded number in the Number Format
9. Add punctuation and a tab after the number.
10. verify the Tab space after and Indent at settings under /text Position.
11. Click OK
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA
Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.