Re: Laid Off

Subject: Re: Laid Off
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 16:31:59 -0800

On 11/12/2012 4:14 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:

As I read the PA rules, to be eligible for benefits on a claim filed
this quarter, you must have worked at least 16 weeks between July 2011
and June 2012.

I did have the months wrong for counting quarters.

The rules state how the base year is determined, not that a person must work that entire time. There is usually a minimum number of weeks to work and an earnings threshold, but sporadic work during a base year is treated the same as continuous work during the base year.

I assumed that there was no other employment before January, so the total earnings in the base year would begin January and end at the end of the quarter before either this one with this quarter being counted as the fifth if partial quarters are counted, or the previous quarter if only full quarters are counted.

If quarters are counted backward from the last day of work, then my original count may almost be correct. Whatever the case, the highest earning quarter is either Jan-Mar or Apr-Jun, but it could be Jul-Sep, although I doubt that it would matter if it wasn't.

Why do I find this analysis a refreshing break from what I was doing?

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs