RE: Referring to a figure or table - without using numbers

Subject: RE: Referring to a figure or table - without using numbers
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 07:37:10 -0800

Martinek, Carla wrote:

> How do you refer to a figure or table if you decide to stop using
> numbering with them?
>
> See Figure: Title
> See Figure : Title on page xx

Yuck. Double yuck for the version where the colon has a space on each side.

> or
>
> See Title
> See Title on page xx

Much better. To address Leonard's concern, "Title" can include descriptive information, e.g., "Table of XYZ Settings," "XYZ Rear Panel Connection Diagram."

> Or something else? Ran into a problem with some numbering issues in
> Frame, and one of my options I'm considering is to drop numbering
> references completely since we distribute via PDF.

Something else: solve the numbering problem. FM's autonumbering, unlike Word's, is rock-solid, so it's probably just a configuration issue. Why don't you post a description of the problem to this list? Also, the FrameUsers list (frameusers.com) is full of people ready to help.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-903-6372
------

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs