Re: International benefits in joining the STC

Subject: Re: International benefits in joining the STC
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riveraintech -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:05:14 -0800

I have benefited greatly from our local STC chapter. After I was laid off
from my first tech writing job, a chapter member helped me to land more
work, which has blossomed greatly. I am going to be needing the help once
again. But no, the "official" channels of the STC have not helped me in the
least. There is a lot of infighting, and promotion driven by the need for
self-preservation instead of actual value. The certification board is a
great idea, but has not been executed in a way that would benefit me.

On the other hand, I do enjoy the relationship I have with my other STC
folks, and for that reason I may continue with my membership. I say "may",
because I am still as yet undecided. I am disappointed that head office
didn't discount ALL levels of membership, only the classic. If all they did
was remove the need to pay for extra chapters and SIGs, which haven't
received much HQ support anyway, then membership would truly be worthwhile.

-Tony
Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs