Re: Laid Off

Subject: Re: Laid Off
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 15:46:20 -0500

I'm a little late to the party, but over the years, I have noticed that Pennsylvania likes to get its hands into anything involving money.

Years ago, they began taxing people who sold items at swap meets. Grant, many were businesses, but a lot were simply people clearing out garages and houses of excessive stuff they no longer needed.

Rules vary by states, but I'm unaware of requirements to work a minimum time between unemployment collection periods in the ones I have drawn from. I have worked a month between without issue. The main concern is that you have accumulated enough funds in the system to draw. If you are making minimum wage, then anything short of working the full time of each quarter will often jeopardize your collecting. Most of us usually make a salary high enough to not have that as an issue. Or you should be, anyway.

Back when I was in college, I was working a day job. The place laid me off 3 weeks before the school quarter started, so I filed. UI rejected me as a student, even though I was not in school and had at least 3 weeks when school had no impact on being available for work. Back then, that 3 weeks of UI would have really made a difference. I felt cheated.

As such, I keep abreast of UI rules for me and collect every penny I can.

1. Always file. Make them reject you, don't reject yourself.
2. Question their rejection. Most don't really know the law, they know what they know.
3. Never wait to file. You know you aren't eligible until next week or two weeks due to how the pay comes out, BUT file anyway. They will delay the payout if you really aren't eligible. But filing on Friday may have a better result than filing on Monday, as you may cross a quarter, and that can throw your banked amount all off.
4. Never count on UI to actually get you a job. If you do, you will:
a. Never get one.
b. Get one paying much less than you should get.
c. Get one that doesn't really apply to you.

Concentrate instead on places that do deliver jobs. Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com (use a disposable email address, as they spam like crazy), Dice.com and a few others.

Don't fall for "contract to hire" pitches. Everyone tells you they can only pay $25 an hour instead of $35 an hour because it is contract to hire and they don't want to pay directs that higher amount. Tell them they can reduce it when you go direct. Reality is that they suck you in on the lower pay, and you will either never get the permanent direct spot or they drop you two days before you go "permanent". Often, the direct has no more benefits than the temporary, as benefits have dropped considerably in the last few years.

There are a lot of recruiters out there. Learn to speak Indian, as there are many from India doing the recruiting now. I know a few who refuse to speak to foreign recruiters but that is how life in America is now. It all works out, but read the contract CAREFULLY. Often they include things that are illegal in the US. Be prepared to modify a contract and send it back to them with the changes.

Good luck, keep your spirits up, and keep looking.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>