FrameMaker 11 – Stability / Crashing on Save.. Help

Subject: FrameMaker 11 – Stability / Crashing on Save.. Help
From: Simon Thomson <sthomson -at- rapiscansystems -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:13:10 +0000

Hi All,

Recently updated to Adobe FrameMaker 11 (within TCS4, which was an upgrade to my existing TCS 2.5) and all was going well, kind of - until now.

Now with my current project due to be uploaded at the translators asap – a small Technical Overview publication, consisting of 11 files (Covers/ .fm’s/ .toc, book & 30 images >190 Mb total) – it’s crashing on demand (almost). Thankfully I can re-create it with minimal effort.

The crash hasn’t happened on any other projects, but to be honest I haven’t tested that – though the project in question Crashes on another FM11 pc.. conclusion – it’s the content/files for that project, right?

The CRASH – usually happens at/during saving a document you’ve Imported Formats into, (All formats or even just Page Layouts) from a corresponding file contained in the same book.

So who has had experience of any Crashes using FM 11 (and fixed it) lol?

Or more specifically has anyone had experience of a FM Project (publication) repeatedly Crashing during Save or just after Import Formats; Page Layouts then Saving using the Save button.. any one?

I can’t help think it’s related to the Track Text Edits (TT), MaterPage formation, Variables &/or Conditional text, I had to create ‘on fly’ for this urgent Tech Overview in 4 days from my master set of original FM9 files.. (The FM9 utilised files, were opened directly with FM 11, saved as into a new project folder, added to a new book created in FM11 then all edited updated (with TT on where required) and published as Pdf).

So the way I see there’s 2 options going forward;

1. Contact support again, and start the (painful) process of a support ticket with Adobe FM Support Desk, (correct)?
(As I have a collection of CRASH screen captures and FM crash logs to support the problem. I found it strange the 1st support staff didn’t review/ask for these?).

The problem with this is the content is confidential – can’t hand out.

1. Or copy the project, and purge all the files of all functionality, Cond. Text & TT Edits, Variables then transfer (copy & paste) the harmless text/graphic content into a fresh/clean FM 11 made file, that contains new ‘hand made’ (not imported Masterpages) and then format all again (Conditions/Variables etc), then build & test the project again (40+ pages). Joy..

Or is there an easy way, please let there be..

Thanks in advanced..
Sim

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs