Re: Back again.... looking...

Subject: Re: Back again.... looking...
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:41:00 -0800

There are three factors that go into the "what to do" equation: what your situation is, what you can do with it and what you want to do.

In my case, my wife and I went over our finances and determined that I could retire right now if I wanted to and if we were prepared to move forward our longterm plan to get out of Southern CA and move back to parts north again,.and her being on SS and Medicare means I no longer have to take anything that comes with health insurance because of her pre-existing conditions. So I'm looking at all options (have had several interviews for direct and contract jobs and just did a short-term 1099 gig last week), and also being more particular about what I do and do not go after. If nothing long term comes along that floats my boat by the end of 2013, we're off to the Oregon coast.

As far as establishing a productive contractor profile, the first thing to do is tap your network. All the former co-workers from former employers who would otherwise have to tell you their companies have no job openings can now be keeping their ears open for short-term gig opportunities. Depending on where you are, your local Craigslist has a Writing and Editing Jobs section that businesses who need someone to do short jobs may be browsing.

Just remember that if your unemployment office decides to spot interview you, never tell them you have become "self employed" while you are collecting benefits. Tell them you are "pursuing all opportunities for work in your field."

Gene Kim-Eng

On 12/13/2012 7:14 PM, Robert Courtney wrote:

I was let go today from my job. I was told I do not meet the companies expectations. When in reality, they just didn't have the work to keep me busy. At the same time, they let go the guy they hired 2 weeks ago. And I didn't think he was doing all that bad.

So, I am on the market looking for work again.

The real question? Should I see what is out there and see what I can do? Or should I just start working as an independent contractor? I have never done that before and I am not sure how I should go about it?

Any ideas? How bad? How hard? How do I get out and do it? Any books? Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs