Re: Keyboards I Have Loved and Lost -- Was: pc keyboard that's"springy" like the Mac's ?

Subject: Re: Keyboards I Have Loved and Lost -- Was: pc keyboard that's"springy" like the Mac's ?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:02:42 -0500

I worked with a guy named David Green a long time ago. He took the blame for the AT keyboard. The AT design group at Boca Raton had a prototype keyboard with keys on top and the side like PC and let him use it for a day to see what he thought. He thought the keys across top were great, and didn't see a need for the side ones anymore. They thought that was great, since fewer parts meant less engineering and less cost.

He then admitted that he didn't spend enough time, and discovered that much of the previous DOS based menus and functions in many programs went from being one hand to two hand operations and what had been left hand operations, letting you still type and such with the right hand, now had half of it being right hand operations. It had just been the novelty of the keys on top.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>