Re: Back again.... looking...

Subject: Re: Back again.... looking...
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: William Sherman <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:36:53 -0800 (PST)

Sometimes what they really mean is they won't provide any financial help for moving, so don't bother asking.

It's been my experience that employers who insist on hiring locals have a Stalinistic attitude toward work times; when they say the work day starts at 8 AM they mean you better have your butt in the chair and be logged in at 7:59. And you're in trouble if you leave before 5:00:01 PM.

Some paranoid employers don't want to risk hiring someone who has to move to get the job. They figure that worker will start disgruntled because of the expense and difficulty of having to move in order to get hired.  They also think someone who will up stakes and move a long way for a new job to be a risk for taking off too quickly if he gets a better offer.

Some people figure it's harder to fool them if you're a local candidate because it's easier for them to check your claims on your resume and to check your references. That feeling had some validity in the 1960s when long-distance calls cost a lot more and a lot of such checking had to be done by snail mail, but anyone who thinks that way these days is just badly out of touch.