Re: Bye-bye Java: impact on technical communications?

Subject: Re: Bye-bye Java: impact on technical communications?
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 08:56:37 -0800

Last year one of my XP virtual machines (with IE7 for work of course) got
hit with a Java related trojan somehow. The closest I came to any Java
applet sites was testing Minecraft for my son. At the time I couldn't get
Minecraft to work on my Mac, so I explored different browsers and OS.

I'm a careful surfer, and I don't remember agreeing to the execution
or installation of anything.

Fortunately, now my kids run native Minecraft through JRE running in the
OS. But they still like surfing sites to get plugins and the like. There's
no guarantee these sites have patched apps.

As for tech docs that require native Java, does anyone export Eclipse
Infocenter Help plugins? If enterprise bans JRE globally, the Eclipse
IDE would stop working. Whoops.

And on the Sun^h^h^hOracle Java site, it boasts that Java runs everywhere
on many devices. Whoops again.

Heaven forbid my blender should get a virus.
-Tony
Writer Tip: Create 10 different outputs with Doc-To-Help -- including Mobile and EPUB.

Read all about them: http://bit.ly/doc-to-help-10-outputs