Re: Importing FrameMaker into RoboHelp -- style issues

Subject: Re: Importing FrameMaker into RoboHelp -- style issues
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:07:15 -0500

Not long ago, I had a short contract that was supposed to be a month long, basically formatting a bunch of books put together by programmers and other systems types in Word. It didn't help that they were using Word 2003, Word 2007, and Word 2010. After 6 months, they decided to call it quits on my work. With each "release" or "review" of the books, the original people managed to undo all the changes I had done to clean them up and I'd spend 2 or 3 days per book fixing them again.

Trust me, Sarah, it won't take three months. The first one making changes will mess them up.

While Office costs about $400 a copy (in corporate quantity, I have no idea how low.) and FrameMaker runs around $1000, these companies lose far more than the $600 difference in lost time from having to fix all the issues that Word documents suffer from each time someone changes them. Just two days lost for most of us eats that right up.

Unfortunately, corporate managers are short-sighted and only see the $600.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah Blake" <sarah -dot- blake -at- arieso -dot- com>