RE: What's the most fun/creative project you've ever worked on in your career?

Subject: RE: What's the most fun/creative project you've ever worked on in your career?
From: James Leatherwood <JLeatherwood -at- aflac -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:14:12 -0500

Ah, the joys of Digest reading!

I've been privileged to work with some great tech and great people. Hands down, the best job I ever had was working at a B2B PR agency. In the course of about 5 years, I got to write trade magazine articles on all kinds of fun stuff.

My most creative work was on the launch of home automation hardware for a connector company - visiting multi-million dollar homes, spending time in the lab with the engineers, learning about the current state of the art - then putting together everything from model-home display sheets to technical articles for "prosumer" and trade pubs, including directing photo shoots on-site at some pretty amazing houses.

A close second was being a journalist on an aircraft carrier and putting together daily newspapers and a nightly news TV show, along with writing releases about what the sailors were doing. It was great to be able to grab a camera, knock on any door in the ship, and ask someone to tell me what they did for a living, then write it up and send it off to their hometown paper or various Navy publications. The payoff was also the most rewarding: when the subject of an article would bring me a clipping from the paper that his mom sent him.

James Leatherwood