RE: When is it too much information?

Subject: RE: When is it too much information?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Anne Robotti <arobotti -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:54:06 -0800

Anne Robotti wrote:

> Deprecated? I don't think that word means what they think it means,
> unless it's a section about features the users complain about!

It has a somewhat different meaning in the software world than in general usage. Here's the definition from the Free Online Dictionary of Computing (foldoc.org):

"Said of a program or feature that is considered obsolescent and in the process of being phased out, usually in favour of a specified replacement. Deprecated features can, unfortunately, linger on for many years. This term appears with distressing frequency in standards documents when the committees writing the documents realise that large amounts of extant (and presumably happily working) code depend on the feature(s) that have passed out of favour."

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-903-6372
------

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z