Re: Deprecated (was When is it too much information?)

Subject: Re: Deprecated (was When is it too much information?)
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 22:35:44 -0800

On 2/20/2013 10:03 PM, Debbie Hemstreet wrote:

In the end it depends on the end user.

Still, I prefer simplicity... and my brain had to twist for "deprecated"

I like simplicity, like using the fewest words necessary to convey something in documentation, and then I over-explain things in conversation. I'm a pair o'ducks, like that.

I think in documentation, "deprecated," defeats the purpose of being simple while some examples of alternatives use more words than I would like to see. Saying instead that a feature is "not used" would convey the correct meaning, use fewer characters, use fewer syllables, and it wouldn't add any meaning, like suggesting that the feature no longer works.

Too funny that a discussion of a simple word has become complex and has required so many words.

But then, programmers not only enjoy twisting, but twisting end-user brains as well... so I guess it works...

The word deprecated is fun because because non-techies don't know what it means. I had a bumper sticker on my old truck that reads, "deprecated," because the truck still worked but it wasn't used. Using "deprecated" in user documentation would create more problems than it would solve.

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z