Re: Editing/Writing Test

Subject: Re: Editing/Writing Test
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:08:14 -0700

Couldn't you just give a candidate a sample passage to edit and a short time to edit the passage?

How would you devise an effective test that would show a person could really do the job?

I have had interviews years ago that had a basic grammar and spelling test that tested basic skills with a short passage or two to edit or re-write, depending on what the hiring manager was looking for. Some were very odd while others were sophisticated. One was for me to interpret a programming diagram (I don't remember what kind) and to explain what an application did after reading the code. I failed in some part but excelled in the explanation. Based on the design of the test, I would not have got the job, but my explanation of how things worked sold it for the manager.

I think that using a test would be more work than just asking for a demonstration.

On 3/17/2013 12:22 PM, Karen Felker wrote:

I suspect this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find it in the archives.
We're about to start looking for a mid-level writer and want to find someone with strong editing skills.
How else can we determine if a candidate has those skills but by giving them a test?
And if you are in agreement on that point, can someone recommend a source for an editing test?

EPUB Webinar: Join STC Vice President Nicky Bleiel as she discusses tips for creating EPUB, the file format used for e-readers, tablets, smartphones, and more.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/12LyN2z