timing training classes

Subject: timing training classes
From: Heidi Bailey <hbailey -at- ocztechnology -dot- com>
To: "becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com" <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 23:48:41 -0700

Hi Becca,
It depends on the trainer's style...

I have worked with trainers who slavishly document every word and action they convey in the session, and at the other extreme I have worked with trainers who do not use any presentation material while talking. They draw things on the board as they go. In this case they wanted handouts that resemble something like a user guide, with concepts + relationships explained, tasks described and tests/exercises (and the occasional embedded demo). So the material didn't necessarily reflect the exact structure of the talk-and-chalk session.

The only way to know if the material is sufficient is to get the trainer to do a pilot session with you (a lot of trainers I worked with liked to do a pilot, as it helped them rehearse and test out their content). That way you can see what they're adding verbally to what is printed, and gauge the timing. You can then work out together whether more needs to go in the printed material.

Hope that helps,
Heidi

Technical Author
OCZ Technology Ltd
25B-25C Western Avenue
Milton Park
Abingdon
Oxfordshire
OX14 4SH
Registered in England no 7806324
Registered Address: As Above
Tel: +44 (0) 1235 824900
Fax: +44 (0) 1235 821141
Email: hbailey -at- ocztechnology -dot- com
Web: http://www.ocztechnology.com

-----
Message: 1
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 05:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Becca <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: tech2wr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

Is there any metric about how many pages of lecture equal how much time in class? Is a 25 page lab (with copious screen prints) enough for a 3-hour class?

I'm not designing the class, only helping out with formatting and layout, but some of the lecture notes seem a bit thin to me, and I don't know how to pass on this kind of feedback to my SME. (who is writing the class based on an outline that some third person, unknown, created - and since the outline is published, we have to stick with it.)

?
Regards,
Becca
There's no such thing as useless information; only information I haven't used yet.

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION: This communication including any attached file(s) is CONFIDENTIAL, intended only for the named recipient (s) above and contains trade secrets or other information that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication and any file attachments by anyone other than the named recipient (s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by reply electronic mail and permanently delete the original transmission and any attachments from your computer system and any copies of this message and file attachments. Thank you.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/13xpg5n