Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for May 17, 2013
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 06:28:55 -0400

I love weeks like this on TechWhirl. With lots of varied, and heated
threads on the email discussion list <http://techwr-l.com/> (cloud
subscriptions, interactive documents, progressive disclosure and layered
documents, among other interesting items), you should be able to find
something to argue…err… talk about well into the weekend.

If you’d rather lurk and read than debate, we had lots to choose from on
the magazine and portals as well. Ryan Minaker is getting rave reviews for
his rave review of Content Strategy: Connecting the Dots Between Business,
Brand, and Benefits<http://techwhirl.com/book-review-content-strategy-connecting-the-dots/>(authored
by Rahel Bailie and Noz Urbina). Jacquie Samuels offers a Getting
Started guide to Topic-Based
Writing<http://techwhirl.com/getting-started-with-topic-based-writing/>,
and Craig Cardimon serves up some great commentary on content strategy,
tech comm, customer experience management and user experience (be sure to
check out the high school tech writers and their cardboard boat) in Tech
Writer This Week<http://techwhirl.com/tech-writer-this-week-for-may-16-2013/>.
When you’re finished with those, take a few minutes to vote in the new
poll, where I resurrect a classic argument—is content or structure more
important?<http://techwhirl.com/techl-comm-poll-is-compelling-content-or-robust-structure-more-important/>The
terminology and the technology have changed, and we’re wondering if
our
direction should as well. So do add your own opinion to the discussion.

So much to do and read, so little time… or so it seems when you’re doing
your thing as a technical communicator. Grab some coffee, or tea, or maybe
a mint julep, and relax with all the tech comm goodness you can handle.

Have a great weekend!

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on http://TechWhirl.com <http://techwhirl.com/>**
:*

- Tech Writer This Week for May 16, 2013, by Craig Cardimon |
http://bit.ly/YXg9sH
- Getting Started with Topic-Based Writing, by Jacquie Samuels |
http://bit.ly/15LtgjJ
- Tech Comm Poll: Is Compelling Content or Robust Structure More
Important? | http://bit.ly/13Wn7Nd
- Book Review: Content Strategy - Connecting the Dots for an Epic Win,
by Ryan Minaker | http://bit.ly/13rezyw

*Technical Communication news on
http://TechWhirl.com/news<http://techwhirl.com/news>
:*

- Quark Joins EMC Information Intelligence Solutions Partner Program |
- The Rockley Group Licenses Rockley Strategic Method to Content Rules |
http://ow.ly/2wW5av

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
http://goo.gl/SO0R4
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
http://goo.gl/tDrW7
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
http://goo.gl/itjDg
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
http://bit.ly/tjshxU
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) | http://goo.gl/msLzu

SPONSOR-Luv

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their
support.

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems
Incorporated<http://www.runaware.com/clients/adobe/techsuite/>

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <http://bit.ly/doc-to-help>,* *Madcap
Software<http://www.madcapsoftware.com/products/flare/overview.aspx#whatsnew>
**

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <http://pr.viu.ca/techcomm/>

Online Magazine and Discussions for Today's Tech Writer

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday
Facebook: facebook.com/techwriterlist
Google+: plus.ly/TechWhirl