RE: RSS feed: interpreting XML

Subject: RE: RSS feed: interpreting XML
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 10:47:25 -0700

Mark Giffin wrote:

> You need to use an RSS feed reader like Google Reader. But don't use
> Google Reader because it is dying in a month or so. There are many feed
> readers. I have been using the Feedly reader, which is a plugin to the
> Firefox browser. It also has mobile apps for Android and iOS.

To provide a little more information for those new to syndication: Don't click the RSS icon (which points your browser to that URL), right-click it. If your browser has a feed reader add-in/plugin, you might get a "subscribe to" option on the right-click menu. Otherwise, copy the URL. In your feed reader, do whatever you do to add a new feed, pasting in the copied URL as the feed address.

BTW, if you're using Outlook, it has a feed reader built in. In Outlook 2010, your mailbox should contain an RSS Feeds folder. Right-click it and select Add New RSS Feed. In the dialog, paste the copied URL and click Add.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.