Re: Contract rates

Subject: Re: Contract rates
From: Caroline Leopold <caroline -dot- leopold -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Margaret Cekis <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 23:30:49 -0400

Whenever I was recruited for contract work, it was $40 an hour. It almost
was like a magic number in that so many agencies/recruiters quoted that
number. In my line of work, there is freelance work available for more, so
I went with that.

For me, as a freelancer, when I earn about $70 an hour, I get $60,000 a
year. That salary is beyond my wildest dreams. Of course, I don't get paid
for 40 hours, but on a good month, I'll get paid for 20-30 per week. The
work has been mostly remote.

I know that I am an outlier in the tech writing community in that my work
is technical, but not computer documentation -- rather government legalese.
I only wanted to share my experience, having gained a great deal from being
on this wonderful list. If any of you want to go into proposal writing, I
know there is a huge demand for people who understand IT. Proposal writing
is a crazy business sometimes, but it's what I know and have been doing it
for 15 years.

Caroline

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Margaret Cekis <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net

--
Caroline Leopold
Grants Consultant & Medical Writer

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ