PDF Job Options - Standard versus High Quality Print

Subject: PDF Job Options - Standard versus High Quality Print
From: Melissa Clark <mclark -at- marvell -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:23:37 -0700

Hi,
I'm writing today to query others about the Standard versus High Quality Print options under the PDF Setup in Adobe FrameMaker and Distiller.

The various PDF job options are being evaluated internally. In particular (and what I'm asking about now), in PDF Setup -> Settings -> PDF Job Options, some use "Standard," while others use "High Quality Print" (same setting in Distiller). Based on what I have been told, there is no reason (benefit) to using High Quality Print (versus Standard) even in docs that use more screenshots and/or pictures, and my understanding is that High Quality Print results in a larger file size. (I have been using High Quality Print for years.)

My question is whether using Standard (instead of High Quality Print) results in any detrimental effect.

For reference, here is some information from Adobe:
Standard
* For desktop printers or digital copiers, published on CD or sent to client as publishing proof
* Uses compression/downsampling to reduce file size
* Embeds subsets of fonts, converts colors to sRGB, prints medium resolution, windows font subsets not embedded by default
* Opened in Acrobat and Reader 6.0 and later
High Quality Print
* Quality printing on desktop printers and proofing devices
* Downsamples color and grayscale images to 300ppi and monochrome to 1200ppi
* Embeds subsets of fonts, leaves colors unchanged, does not flatted transparency
* Opened in Acrobat and Reader 5.0 and later

For what it's worth, I am using Adobe FrameMaker 9 and 10 and Distiller 8.

Any feedback on what others have found while using High Quality Print versus Standard would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa Clark

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ