Re: Tools statistics

Subject: Re: Tools statistics
From: Shawn C <shawn -at- convergent -dot- io>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:39:22 -0700

Great comments Robert!

>Dealing with PDF page breaks is a pain with Flare

That was one of my initial grievances as well. But like literately every
issue I experienced in Flare, there is a solution.

For page breaks, it was quite simply a matter of creating a custom header
(or headers for each case) in the style sheet.

For instance, a regular header (inheriting the default font attributes),
this is all that needs to change:

h2.pageBreak
{
page-break-before: always;
}

Calling this header is really as simple as marking and selecting this new
header (very similar to Word 2013).

Another example might be where you always require a page break before a
topic title. The css required for that is:

h1.Title
{
font-size: 16pt;
page-break-before: always;
margin-top: 0.25in;
vertical-align: 1px;
color: #d84127;
}

Again, very easy to assign this header to the text in the xml editor.

>When doing major updates or revisions I find it much more efficient to
have all the content in one big file instead of one file per topic or few
topics.

Ah, but that is one of Flare's greatest strengths. One of the reasons why I
choose Flare was for its powerful single sourcing capability. Yes, it is a
very different documentation concept but if single source (re-usable
content) is important to you, this segmenting of content is actually quite
nice.

> MadCap ended with bug reports or feature requests or them telling me it
was a known bug

I concur. The first two weeks of being knee deep in MadCap Flare, I was
'discovering' about a bug every three days! And placing a feature request
about the same number.

Fortunately, I have successfully worked around all the issues I
encountered. But for a little while, I was wondering if I made a huge
mistake. Trust me, you need to buy a support contract for your first year!

>The search in Flare's web help is weak.

I am not quite there yet to make a qualified comment. However, I recently
attended a webinar titled, "Project Showcase: Bomgar Improves SEO with a
New Approach to WebHelp Targets" I learned that Bomgar re-wrote much of the
Flare generated web interface and I believe they significantly improved the
search functionality as well.
See: http://www.madcapsoftware.com/demos/player.aspx?v=7fbec9915581d
To download the presentation, visit:
http://www.madcapsoftware.com/assets/Presentation_BomgarImprovesSEO.pdf