Re: Details on the Email List migration: It’s a good thing

Subject: Re: Details on the Email List migration: It’s a good thing
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>, Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 10:33:15 -0400

I am currently not receiving comments from the forum, only e-mails that
contain links to comments. Usability issue one, I have to click through.

And the subject line in the e-mail does not include the discussion thread
title, so I have no idea if the discussion would be one I have any interest
in joining/following. Usability issue number two, I have to click through
with no idea what might be on the other side.

Thankfully my G-mail pretty much took care of the rash of weird e-mails in
the past couple of days during the transition. But I'm missing the chatter
from the old TECHWR-L list. My inbox has been too quiet this week. Are
there actual discussions going on over on the forums that just aren't
coming through?

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM, TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> People who are monitoring via email will get all comments, whether they're
> posted by email or online.
>
> Connie
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
> wrote:
>
> > So if I start an email thread on a topic and get responses via email, can
> > there also be responses to that thread on the website that do not appear
> in
> > the email thread?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mark Giffin
> >

> > On 9/27/13 6:10 AM, TechWhirl Admin wrote:
> >
> >> Good morning Whirlers,
> >>
> >> The work is underway for what should be a smooth transition of the list
> >> our new community forums. No need to panic, we do all the heavy lifting.
> >> But we wanted to give you some details, and some things to be on the
> >> lookout for, to make the move truly effortless.
> >>
> >> *Base Category for all Discussions Started Via Email*
> >>

> >> Discussions started with our normal email address will be located in the
> >> “Technical Writing and Communications” category of the Forums (
> >>
> >> community.techwhirl.com).
> >>

> >> *Sending and Replying to Emails*
> >>
> >> Starting a Discussion: No change from today - Send notes to
> >>
> >> Replying to Emails: There’s a slight change if you use a filter or rule.
> >> Currently, the techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com email address is used to
> >> deliver
> >> all conversations, in addition to being used to start them. However,
> >> moving
> >> forward the Forums admin / distribution email address is
> >> discussions -at- techwhirl -dot- net -dot- And as a little tech background, the system
> >> uses
> >> sub-aliased email addresses to make certain that your replies are
> aligned
> >> to the correct discussion topic, so emails will be structured this way:
> >> discussions+d[somenumber] -at- tech**whirl -dot- net <http://techwhirl.net>.
> >>
> >> We share this because some of you may be curious, and if you have
> filters
> >> /
> >> rules set up in your Yahoo!, Outlook, Gmail, Hotmail or other email
> >> client,
> >> you’ll need to update them to accept this address: @techwhirl.net(note
> >> that going forward, any address with “techwhirl.net” as the domain
> >> indicates it’s a system generated account) rather than the @
> >> lists.techwr-l.com. We also suggest you check your SPAM settings on
> >> Monday
> >> morning to ensure your email system continues to deliver your TechWhirl
> >> discussions.
> >>
> >> And, yes, conversations can be started by sending notes to
> >> discussions -at- techwhirl -dot- net in addition to the address we’ll publicize,
> >> which
> >> is discussions -at- techwhirl -dot- com -dot-
> >>

> >> *Daily Digest*

> [...]

Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/
Blogging about Agile and technical writing

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ