FW: Convention for navigation labels in documentation

Subject: FW: Convention for navigation labels in documentation
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:35:58 -0400

Ron Hearn asked about "Convention for navigation labels in documentation"
Ron:
In systems where you can specify "Character" styles, such as FrameMaker and
Word, I define an "Emphasis" style that I use for screen names, field
labels, and navigation terms. I use the same font as the body text, but I
make the emphasized terms bold but one font size smaller than the text font.
For example, if the text font is 12 pt Arial, I make the emphasis font 11 pt
bold. It makes the label terms stand out, but has less of the "ransom note"
effect of using bold in the same font size.

My suggestion is to take a block of about 3 or 4 paragraphs of typical text
from one of the applications you're documenting that has several label-type
terms scattered through it, and try different font size and style
combinations until you find one that looks good to you. Then put it into
your templates and make it your style standard. Oh, and give the emphasis
font that you decide on an easy-to-use character short cut. (I use Ctrl-e.)
YMMV
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ