Re: Using tables for content

Subject: Re: Using tables for content
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 13:23:21 -0700

On 10/24/2013 12:59 PM, Janoff, Steven wrote:

On October 24, 2013 12:14 PM, Lauren wrote:
This is useful but not directly relevant.
http://affect.media.mit.edu/pdfs/05.larson-picard.pdf
This is excellent, and actually *very* relevant.

Thanks. I thought it was relevant to learning but not to tabled lists.

The kind of tabular procedure Sean is talking about is different, I think, from the example shown on the court page. In that one, "Step n" is in the left column, and the step text is in the right column. In Sean's example (if I remember right), the action to perform is in the left column (with the step number, I assume), and the outcome or result is in the right column.

I know it wasn't exact. It did provide a comparison between a table list and and a paragraph list. I didn't think the numbering was a factor in the comparison.

Here is the list (mostly) with the numbers in the first column. I didn't format the numbers to look right and I don't know what the table will do when email converts it to text. If the second column was changed to step names it would be closer to accurate. I like the table layout in some contexts and the paragraph layout in others. For multiple editors and ease of reorganization for the non-savvy, a table is best for editing *and* for showing errors that writing professionals are less likely to make than amateurs, like repetition, missed steps, and ordering issues.

1. -

Step 1:

You must be able to pay the full bail, plus $61.00 (fee for traffic school) within 90 days from the date of this request. Your total bail can be obtained by reviewing the online traffic index located on our website http://www.saccourt.ca.gov/traffic/citation-index.aspx .

2. -

Step 2:

Complete this request and submit to the Court. This request must be received by the Court on or before the due date listed at the bottom of your citation or as otherwise ordered by the Court.

3. -

Step 3:

Complete Traffic Violator School. Once your request for traffic violator school request has been granted, you will receive an information packet from the Court.

4. -

Step 4:

Submit the Traffic School Completion Certificate:. When you have completed attendance at traffic violator school, you will be provided with a completion receipt. It is not necessary to send your certificate receipt to the court. All certificates of completion will be electronically sent to the court.

I can cite no examples of research right now, but a quick search on Google Scholar shows lots of papers associated with "brain learning visual cortex." I do NOT know if there is an advantage to the left-to-right sweeping that you'd have in Sean's example, versus a vertical scan as in the normal, ordered list form of step-by-step procedures. I think it would be a decent subject for study, though.

It would be something worth following.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ