RE: tableT woes (was RE: Using tables for content

Subject: RE: tableT woes (was RE: Using tables for content
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:37:33 -0700

Yes, I agree, and well, yes, this is probably an old notion, but it seems like there's very little support for backstory or the "why" these days, and everything is about getting the user on their way. Maybe that's the fault of minimalism, who knows.

All I remember are those big, fat, luscious aftermarket manuals of the 90's, and how much fun they were to read. I could sit with one of those for hours. I really felt like I was learning something. Nowadays I don't really feel like I'm learning anything by using software. Maybe that's just because we've all caught up, and the only thing left is to use the tool for what it's intended for.

But I've heard this lament before. Tech writing is really a different beast from what I remember. I guess the computer field was still young and we were still learning how computers worked. Now we know how they work, we know how software works, it's just, what the heck can you do with it.

Steve