RE: "A few things tech writers frequently say"

Subject: RE: "A few things tech writers frequently say"
From: Jen <jennee -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:35:50 +0200

I mostly agree with his his points.

1. Videos are too tedious to watch - I'd rather have the text that I can
go right to.
Big yes. I hate sitting through a video for 10 minutes when I could find
the information in 30 seconds in a text.

2. Users only go to help to search for a specific answer, so they want
a short topic rather than having to wade through a lot of content.
Not always. As a user, if I'm just learning to use a product, I might need
some conceptual information first, because I don't yet know *what* I'm
looking for. Maybe splitting the conceptual info in its own topic and
having small procedural topics is the best approach.

3. My preferred way to get help is to have a friend right beside me to
ask questions whenever I need it.
Depends on the friend :) If it's someone I'm actually friendly with, yeah,
I'll definitely ask, and go to online help only if the friend doesn't know
the answer. If the friend is a less-close coworker, I'll search help first,
because I don't want to pester him/her with silly questions. (For
statistics purposes: I'm somewhere between intro- and extroverted, leaning
towards introverted.)

4. If I do a search on Google, I'll find the content I'm looking for,
but not when I use the application's search.
I don't remember ever using the application's help if Google was an option.
(In my previous job, the application's online help was password-protected,
so I had to use it... )

5. Tech writers don't include more examples because they don't have
the information to write examples.
Yes and no. Sometimes the tech writer doesn't ask enough questions.
Sometimes the SME won't help no matter how many questions you ask. If
management doesn't care about documentation, you won't have any leverage.

Message: 2

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ