Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?

Subject: Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:22:04 -0800

Are you describing two cases or writing a procedure in which the user
much choose one of two possible paths?

"In both cases, X happens."
"In either case, do X."

I'm describing two cases: "In both cases, X happens." And the consensus (my feeling, plus on-list and off-list replies) seems to be to go with "both" to reduce any possibility of confusion.

Learn more:

"either case" vs. "both cases" ?: From: Monique Semp
Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?: From: Robert Lauriston