Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 1 - BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 1 - BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS
From: wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 02:12:53 -0800 (PST)

There are a lot of books out there, I like:
* Elements of Technical Writing by Gary Blake and Robert Bly (2001, I believe)
* Handbook of Technical Writing by Alred et al (around 2008)
* and two books by Martha Sammons on writing for the internet.

* Don't make me Think for usability
* There is an excellent book about presentations that I'll have to look for... it is excellent for not only improving your presentations but also visual design.  Can't find it for the moment.  I use it as a resource when I'm planning websites.
* Check Amazon for the top sellers and you'll get a fairly reliable list of what is out there right now.
I've just finished my Masters, so I think my recommendations are reasonably current.

~Faye

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus!



On Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:55 AM, "techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:

Send TECHWR-L mailing list submissions to
>    techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    techwr-l-request -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>    techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of TECHWR-L digest..."
>
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>TechWhirl's Email Discussion List is Sponsored by Doc-to-Help:
>
>New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for authoring.
>
>Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>
>
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>  1. "either case" vs. "both cases" ? (Monique Semp)
>  2. RE: "either case" vs. "both cases" ? (Al Geist)
>  3. Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ? (Milan Davidovi?)
>  4. Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ? (Robert Lauriston)
>  5. Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ? (Monique Semp)
>  6. Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ? (Robert Lauriston)
>  7. Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ? (Monique Semp)
>  8. best current books for teaching tech writing? (Laura Lemay)
>  9. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing? (Matthew Helmke)
>  10. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing? (Jim Jones)
>  11. RE: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>      (Cardimon, Craig)
>  12. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing? (Hannah Drake)
>  13. RE: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>      (Connie Giordano)
>  14. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>      (Charlotte Branth Claussen)
>  15. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing? (Lauren)
>  16. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing? (Matthew Helmke)
>  17. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>      (Milan Davidovi?)
>  18. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing? (Laura Lemay)
>  19. Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>      (Weissman, Jessica)
>  20. RE: best current books for teaching tech writing? (Janoff, Steven)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 08:33:27 -0800
>From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
>To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
>Message-ID: <1019ACC0AB4248769061CB94EC4AADC4 -at- WQIMJS>
>Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="UTF-8"
>
>Hello, WR-L-ers,
>
>I?m sure that there must be a preferred or more grammatically correct version, but the following seem to mean the same thing when used after an introductory sentence that describes two different behaviors, and then I want to describe something that the two behaviors have in common:
>
>* In either case, blah-blah-blah.
>* In both cases, blah-blah-blah.
>
>Got any thoughts, tips, pointers to accepted grammar references?
>
>Thanks!
>-Monique
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 11:55:38 -0500
>From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
>To: "'Monique Semp'" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>,    "'TechWR-L'"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: RE: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
>Message-ID: <005801cef048$835e7400$8a1b5c00$ -at- geistarts -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="UTF-8"
>
>Hi Monique,
>
>To answer your question about whether the following mean the same thing.....
>
>* In either case, blah-blah-blah.
>* In both cases, blah-blah-blah.
>
>They don't. Either means one OR the other one, while both means one AND the other one.
>
>Al Geist-Geist Arts, LLC
>Fine Art Photography
>Mobile: 231-301-5770
>E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
>Website: www.geistarts.com
>Facebook: Geist Arts
>See Also:
>Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management
>
>?We can?t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used to create them." (Albert Einstein)
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:09:18 -0500
>From: Milan Davidovi? <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>
>To: TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
>Message-ID:
>    <CADgLD4H2P0V1whxJFi3HJGWFo9qBaTWJYSdtCxxTJ2ok7Sc2XA -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
>You could plug the phrases into a corpus like
>http://corpus.byu.edu/coca/ and see how they're used. The results are
>sorted by genre, which should help you focus on examples that are more
>likely to be well written and edited.
>
>--Milan Davidovi?
>
>Sent from my Commercial Visible 6
>
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Monique Semp
><monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
>> * In either case, blah-blah-blah.
>> * In both cases, blah-blah-blah.
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 4
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:19:11 -0800
>From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
>To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>,    TechWR-L
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
>Message-ID:
>    <CAN3Yy4AbO8ZeqUnkCuvYtdQo7T+TxizRXnQJD1Jotr+sJcOOjA -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>
>Are you describing two cases or writing a procedure in which the user
>much choose one of two possible paths?
>
>"In both cases, X happens."
>"In either case, do X."
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
>> Hello, WR-L-ers,
>>
>> I?m sure that there must be a preferred or more grammatically correct version, but the following seem to mean the same thing when used after an introductory sentence that describes two different behaviors, and then I want to describe something that the two behaviors have in common:
>>
>> * In either case, blah-blah-blah.
>> * In both cases, blah-blah-blah.
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 5
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:22:04 -0800
>From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
>To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>,    "TechWR-L"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
>Message-ID: <D6FA8E7E492B462580BFFA9B39C22DF2 -at- WQIMJS>
>Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="Windows-1252";
>    reply-type=original
>
>> Are you describing two cases or writing a procedure in which the user
>much choose one of two possible paths?
>
>>"In both cases, X happens."
>>"In either case, do X."
>
>I'm describing two cases: "In both cases, X happens." And the consensus (my
>feeling, plus on-list and off-list replies) seems to be to go with "both" to
>reduce any possibility of confusion.
>
>-Monique
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 09:50:58 -0800
>From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
>To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
>Cc: TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
>Message-ID:
>    <CAN3Yy4D-yytU8aXKmmEKpi7CH=8VQeQ3nJamgq1qgbKXFrZ3qw -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
>Your uncertainty could reflect a deeper problem. Are you sure "case"
>is the best word?
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:
>>> Are you describing two cases or writing a procedure in which the user
>>
>> much choose one of two possible paths?
>>
>>> "In both cases, X happens."
>>> "In either case, do X."
>>
>>
>> I'm describing two cases: "In both cases, X happens." And the consensus (my
>> feeling, plus on-list and off-list replies) seems to be to go with "both" to
>> reduce any possibility of confusion.
>>
>> -Monique
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 7
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 10:07:48 -0800
>From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
>To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
>Cc: TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: "either case" vs. "both cases" ?
>Message-ID: <26FEF92BE9E34FE695A49726D35211FD -at- WQIMJS>
>Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
>    reply-type=original
>
>>Are you sure "case" is the best word?
>
>Actually, "case" is not the word I'm really using. I was just trying to
>simplify the wording so that we could focus on the specific issue at hand.
>But simplifying does reduce context and clarity, so perhaps that wasn't the
>way to ask my question.
>
>But I'm satisfied with the answer (use "both"), from *both* this list and
>the other one to which I posed the question (STC Lone Writers).
>
>-Monique
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 8
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 12:27:42 -0800
>From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
>To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID: <8F2B1C06-FED9-41B9-8031-CAE9D65BE0CB -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
>
>I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books for learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it. 
>
>Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s,"  I do want to encourage my eager developer.  I am, however, a good 25
>years out of technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the kids are doing these days. 
>
>Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech writing?  This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices for understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be correct/concise/clear, etc. 
>
>Thanks!
>Laura
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 9
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 14:30:30 -0600
>From: Matthew Helmke <matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com>
>To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <CADRNPf1oVB7c45aAtU+x7nzpFGap+v-AX5dnGs42Fa6Mw6v3Qg -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
>The best I've read is The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing by Krista
>Van Laan.
>
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com> wrote:
>
>>
>> I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books for
>> learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.
>>
>> Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s,"  I do want to
>> encourage my eager developer.  I am, however, a good 25
>> years out of technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the
>> kids are doing these days.
>>
>> Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech
>> writing?  This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools
>> and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices for
>> understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be
>> correct/concise/clear, etc.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Laura
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> authoring.
>>
>> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online
>> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>>
>
>
>
>--
>Matthew Helmke
>matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com
>Author of Ubuntu Unleashed, Humor and Moroccan Culture, and Nowhere Else to
>Turn
>Coauthor of VMware Cookbook and The Official Ubuntu Book
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 10
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 14:42:59 -0600
>From: Jim Jones <han4yu3 -at- gmail -dot- com>
>To: Matthew Helmke <matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com>
>Cc: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com \(techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com\)"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <CAOnY3ic3t5C2+v040+0rEbLj_vfayvHP9iZnX1j7ukjB4USJOQ -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
>Sides, Charles H.: *How to Write and Present Technical Information*, 3rd
>edition, Oryx, 1999.
>
>East-to-read and digest, short chapters. About 30 chapters.
>
>Jim Jones [BA in Linguistics, MA in process, STC DCSA]
>
>Technical editing, other
>
>[available now for off-site, well-defined and quick work]
>
>linkedin.com/in/jimxlat
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Matthew Helmke <matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com>wrote:
>
>> The best I've read is The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing by Krista
>> Van Laan.
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> > I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books for
>> > learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.
>> >
>> > Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s,"  I do want to
>> > encourage my eager developer.  I am, however, a good 25
>> > years out of technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the
>> > kids are doing these days.
>> >
>> > Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech
>> > writing?  This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools
>> > and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices for
>> > understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be
>> > correct/concise/clear, ..
>>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 11
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 20:43:16 +0000
>From: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
>To: 'Matthew Helmke' <matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com>,
>    "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)'"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: RE: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <7AAC13DC756EEA4CB5360BDB593E4B894F77682E -at- Delmar3 -dot- m-s-g -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>Ditto on that one.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Matthew Helmke
>Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:31 PM
>To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>
>The best I've read is The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing by Krista Van Laan.
>
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com> wrote:
>
>>
>> I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books
>> for learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.
>>
>> Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s,"  I do want to
>> encourage my eager developer.  I am, however, a good 25 years out of
>> technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the kids are
>> doing these days.
>>
>> Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech
>> writing?  This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools
>> and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices
>> for understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be
>> correct/concise/clear, etc.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Laura
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> authoring.
>>
>> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
>> and info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our
>> online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our
>> public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>>
>
>
>
>--
>Matthew Helmke
>matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com
>Author of Ubuntu Unleashed, Humor and Moroccan Culture, and Nowhere Else to Turn Coauthor of VMware Cookbook and The Official Ubuntu Book
>
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for authoring.
>
>Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com -dot-
>
>To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
>Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.
>
>Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
>Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 12
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:05:26 -0500
>From: Hannah Drake <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com>
>To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
>Cc: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com \(techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com\)"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <CAMSrMHtdkuP4uskG3FajR=8fQw_9YoSpSsMgSHOsvS9j=P6M+g -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
>Read Me First! A Style Guide for the Computer Industry, Third
>Edition<http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/communications/9780137058280>
>
>&
>
>Developing Quality Technical Information: A Handbook for Writers and Editors
>
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com> wrote:
>
>> Ditto on that one.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:
>> techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of
>> Matthew Helmke
>> Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:31 PM
>> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)
>> Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>>
>> The best I've read is The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing by Krista
>> Van Laan.
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> > I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books
>> > for learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.
>> >
>> > Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s,"  I do want to
>> > encourage my eager developer.  I am, however, a good 25 years out of
>> > technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the kids are
>> > doing these days.
>> >
>> > Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech
>> > writing?  This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools
>> > and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices
>> > for understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be
>> > correct/concise/clear, etc.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Laura
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> > authoring.
>> >
>> > Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com -dot-
>> >
>> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> >
>> >
>> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
>> > and info.
>> >
>> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our
>> > online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>> >
>> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our
>> > public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Matthew Helmke
>> matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com
>> Author of Ubuntu Unleashed, Humor and Moroccan Culture, and Nowhere Else
>> to Turn Coauthor of VMware Cookbook and The Official Ubuntu Book
>>
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> authoring.
>>
>> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online
>> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>> Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
>> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not
>> read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any
>> attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
>> notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
>>
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> authoring.
>>
>> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as hannah -dot- drake -at- formulatrix -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online
>> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>>
>
>
>
>--
>Hannah L. Drake
>Lead Technical Documentation Specialist
>Formulatrix, Inc.
>
>781-788-0228 x137 (office)
>617-610-6456 (cell)
>hannah.drake.formulatrix (skype)
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 13
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:18:31 -0500
>From: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwords -dot- com>
>To: "'Laura Lemay'" <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>,
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: RE: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID: <0f8601cef06d$3802eb60$a808c220$ -at- therightwords -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="us-ascii"
>
>Hi Laura,
>
>In addition to the great suggestions you've gotten so far, I'd add Lee
>LeFever's "The Art of Explanation" which is a fairly quick read, and
>provides some good conceptual information and some useful thinking for
>beyond the traditional user manual approach.
>
>Connie Giordano (non-List Moderator incarnation)
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: techwr-l-bounces+connie=therightwords -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+connie=therightwords -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On
>Behalf Of Laura Lemay
>Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:28 PM
>To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)
>Subject: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>
>
>I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books for
>learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it. 
>
>Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s,"  I do want to
>encourage my eager developer.  I am, however, a good 25 years out of
>technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the kids are doing
>these days. 
>
>Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech
>writing?  This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools
>and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices for
>understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be
>correct/concise/clear, etc. 
>
>Thanks!
>Laura
>
>
>
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>authoring.
>
>Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as connie -at- therightwords -dot- com -dot-
>
>To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>
>
>Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>info.
>
>Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online
>magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>
>Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 14
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 22:22:41 +0100
>From: Charlotte Branth Claussen <charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com>
>To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <CAAu8DjCftTV62v7Rb1CMp0MHAVs9cgRnDP7Gkqvn5iAzHRpL_A -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
>http://store.scriptorium.com/items/books/technical-writing-101-book-third-edition-tw101bk-detail.htm
>
>/Charlotte
>
>
>2013/12/3 Hannah Drake <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com>
>
>> Read Me First! A Style Guide for the Computer Industry, Third
>> Edition<http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/communications/9780137058280>
>>
>> &
>>
>> Developing Quality Technical Information: A Handbook for Writers and
>> Editors
>>
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Ditto on that one.
>> >
>> > -----Original Message-----
>> > From: techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com [mailto:
>> > techwr-l-bounces+ccardimon=m-s-g -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of
>> > Matthew Helmke
>> > Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:31 PM
>> > To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)
>> > Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>> >
>> > The best I've read is The Insider's Guide to Technical Writing by Krista
>> > Van Laan.
>> >
>> >
>> > On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > >
>> > > I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books
>> > > for learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.
>> > >
>> > > Although my first reaction was "wow, books, how 1990s,"  I do want to
>> > > encourage my eager developer.  I am, however, a good 25 years out of
>> > > technical writing school, and I don't have a clue what the kids are
>> > > doing these days.
>> > >
>> > > Do any of you have recommendations for good, practical books on tech
>> > > writing?  This guy doesn't necessarily need a rundown on current tools
>> > > and/or structure, but is probably looking for general best practices
>> > > for understanding your audience, organizing your thoughts, be
>> > > correct/concise/clear, etc.
>> > >
>> > > Thanks!
>> > > Laura
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > > New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> > > authoring.
>> > >
>> > > Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>> > >
>> > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > >
>> > > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com -dot-
>> > >
>> > > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> > > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> > > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources
>> > > and info.
>> > >
>> > > Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our
>> > > online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>> > >
>> > > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our
>> > > public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>> > >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Matthew Helmke
>> > matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com
>> > Author of Ubuntu Unleashed, Humor and Moroccan Culture, and Nowhere Else
>> > to Turn Coauthor of VMware Cookbook and The Official Ubuntu Book
>> >
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> > authoring.
>> >
>> > Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com -dot-
>> >
>> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> >
>> >
>> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> > info.
>> >
>> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our
>> online
>> > magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>> >
>> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>> > email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>> > Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
>> > confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not
>> > read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any
>> > attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please
>> immediately
>> > notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
>> >
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> > New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> > authoring.
>> >
>> > Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>> >
>> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >
>> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as hannah -dot- drake -at- formulatrix -dot- com
>> .
>> >
>> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> > techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>> >
>> >
>> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> > http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> > info.
>> >
>> > Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our
>> online
>> > magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>> >
>> > Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>> > email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Hannah L. Drake
>> Lead Technical Documentation Specialist
>> Formulatrix, Inc.
>>
>> 781-788-0228 x137 (office)
>> 617-610-6456 (cell)
>> hannah.drake.formulatrix (skype)
>>
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> authoring.
>>
>> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online
>> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 15
>Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 13:42:09 -0800
>From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
>To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID: <529E5031 -dot- 1020808 -at- writeco -dot- net>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
>All of these books look good. Maybe someone can put together a reading
>list to post on Techwhirl. I'm busy with other things right now, or I
>would do it. Online resources to read are also good. Maybe a wiki or
>something similar.
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 16
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:45:05 -0600
>From: Matthew Helmke <matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com>
>To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <CADRNPf2NvABizH6awoeikj4Y+5Sig9MHdFZUHXyU-59c8kfmcg -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
>I have written a reviews of some of these on my blog. Here are a couple
>links:
>
>http://matthewhelmke.net/2012/08/the-insiders-guide-to-technical-writing/
>http://matthewhelmke.net/2012/01/style-guides/
>
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net> wrote:
>
>> All of these books look good. Maybe someone can put together a reading
>> list to post on Techwhirl. I'm busy with other things right now, or I would
>> do it. Online resources to read are also good. Maybe a wiki or something
>> similar.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for
>> authoring.
>>
>> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and
>> info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online
>> magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public
>> email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>>
>
>
>
>--
>Matthew Helmke
>matthew -at- matthewhelmke -dot- com
>Author of Ubuntu Unleashed, Humor and Moroccan Culture, and Nowhere Else to
>Turn
>Coauthor of VMware Cookbook and The Official Ubuntu Book
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 17
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 17:03:02 -0500
>From: Milan Davidovi? <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>
>To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <CADgLD4G7nczB7LXoBWrKUOvYuKWk-7EO9cGAUN4eiYGN06o4Eg -at- mail -dot- gmail -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
>On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com> wrote:
>> I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books for learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.
>
>In the context of his current job, or might he be looking at a career change?
>
>--Milan Davidovi?
>
>Sent from my Commercial Visible 6
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 18
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 14:37:10 -0800
>From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
>To: Milan Davidovi? <milan -dot- lists -at- gmail -dot- com>
>Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID: <4D6836B4-9F5E-4D60-90EA-A52E7014E909 -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
>
>Yes, a clarification:
>
>This is for a developer who is going to remain a developer, and wants to know how to be a better and clearer writer of internal technical material.  He is not a career changer;  he's not going to be doing single-sourced DITA concepts and tasks at any time.  Everything he writes will be in the under-ten-pages range, and probably 90% of it will be on our internal wikis. 
>
>He wants to be a better subject matter expert for his particular subject, and to provide better and clearer background information for consumption by other developers and by tech writers.  We have a strong emphasis on clear writing company-wide here, and if a developer cannot write they are at a disadvantage to others who can. 
>
>That said the books that have been recommended so far are awesome, thank you.  Keep sending them and I will compile a list and repost. 
>
>Thanks,
>Laura
>
>
>On Dec 3, 2013, at 2:03 PM, Milan Davidovi? wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com> wrote:
>>> I had a developer co-worker timidly ask me this morning about books for learning technical writing, because he wants to do more of it.
>>
>> In the context of his current job, or might he be looking at a career change?
>>
>> --Milan Davidovi?
>>
>> Sent from my Commercial Visible 6
>>
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for authoring.
>>
>> Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ
>>
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com -dot-
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>> techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>>
>>
>> Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
>> http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.
>>
>> Looking for articles on Technical Communications?  Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com
>>
>> Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 19
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 18:57:59 -0500
>From: "Weissman, Jessica" <WeissmanJ -at- abacustech -dot- com>
>To: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
>Cc: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com \(techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com\)"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID: <92BB415E-540F-48CA-BE73-0C9BE0752130 -at- abacustech -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
>The best book for your colleague is Barry Rosenberg's Spring Into Technical Writing for Engineers and Scientists.  Concise, targeted, and not patronizing.
>
>-  Jessica
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 20
>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 16:23:50 -0800
>From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
>To: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com"
>    <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: RE: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>Message-ID:
>    <8053B3D6140D544AA9F34FEBF648531F051E13A6ED -at- TOREXCH02 -dot- ga -dot- com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
>"Style: Lessons in Clarity and Grace" (11th Edition) by Joseph M. Williams.
>
>Not a book on tech writing per se, but a powerful book that will teach him how to be a much better and clearer writer of internal technical material.
>
>In the mid to latter 90's when I dug in to really learn how to write, this was the single most influential contemporary book on writing that I read.  It had a big influence on my style.  (The one mentioned is the textbook version.  There's a trade book version, from U. of Chicago Press, called "Style: Toward Clarity and Grace" -- out of print but not that hard to find.  And there are earlier editions of the textbook for rock bottom that are probably just as good.  Any way you look at it, this is a phenomenal book.)
>
>Steve
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: On Behalf Of Laura Lemay
>Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 2:37 PM
>To: Milan Davidovi?
>Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
>Subject: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
>
>Yes, a clarification:
>
>This is for a developer who is going to remain a developer, and wants to know how to be a better and clearer writer of internal technical material.  He is not a career changer;  he's not going to be doing single-sourced DITA concepts and tasks at any time.  Everything he writes will be in the under-ten-pages range, and probably 90% of it will be on our internal wikis. 
>
>He wants to be a better subject matter expert for his particular subject, and to provide better and clearer background information for consumption by other developers and by tech writers.  We have a strong emphasis on clear writing company-wide here, and if a developer cannot write they are at a disadvantage to others who can. 
>
>That said the books that have been recommended so far are awesome, thank you.  Keep sending them and I will compile a list and repost. 
>
>Thanks,
>Laura
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>You are currently subscribed to
>TECHWR-L.
>To unsubscribe send a blank email to
>http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/listinfo/techwr-l
>Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
>
>Visit
>http://www.techwhirl.com/ for more resources and info.
>
>Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions?  Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives
>
>End of TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 1
>***************************************
>
>
>


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
New! Doc-to-Help 2013 features the industry's first HTML5 editor for authoring.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/ZeOZeQ

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- web -dot- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-leave -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com


Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
http://www.techwhirl.com/email-discussion-groups/ for more resources and info.

Looking for articles on Technical Communications? Head over to our online magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Looking for the archived Techwr-l email discussions? Search our public email archives @ http://techwr-l.com/archives


Follow-Ups:

Previous by Author: RE: How to write for both mouse and touch screen
Previous by Thread: Re: best current books for teaching tech writing?
Next by Thread: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 1 - BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS


What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads


Sponsored Ads