Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 2

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 98, Issue 2
From: Jen <jennee -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Hannah Drake <hannah -dot- drake -at- formulatrix -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 10:37:42 +0200

Hi Hannah,

At my previous job, we delivered WebHelp as part of the application (and
also had it available online). Our customers were banks, so I assume they
had pretty tight security, but I didn't hear of any problems. We used
RoboHelp and, as far as I can tell, if you just copy all the folders to a
hard drive, you can just double-click the index file and it works (maybe
you also need JavaScript enabled?).

Message: 16
> Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 14:53:43 -0500
> From: Hannah Drake <hannah -dot- drake -at- formulatrix -dot- com>
> To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l
> Subject: Re: Hosted Help - server specs?
> We do, because of the first issue I mentioned -- half of our customers are
> online, half aren't (they don't have to be for some of our products) and
> some have very conservative IT people who don't like programs accessing the
> internet.
> CHMs seem easier to package than webhelp. But maybe there is something I
> don't know? It was the format they used when I got here in Jan, and I'm a
> newb to TW tools. I also assumed webhelp was meant to be hosted on a
> website.
> However, we are kicking around the idea of producing webhelp
> for at least one of our products
> (I also use Flare).
> Hannah L. Drake
> On 12/4/2013 2:49:24 PM, Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Also I find it kind of interesting that you talk about "the traditional
> CHM" as backup.
> I've been a technical writer for over a dozen years now, and I've never
> produced a CHM file. I've always produced some flavor of WebHelp. Are
> people still producing CHM files? (not to derail my own topic, but I'm
> curious).
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Hannah Drake wrote:
> > 1) Are all of your customers hooked up to the Internet? any high-security
> > customers? These kinds of things can cause hosted "help" problems.
> > 2) Most companies that have online help also do the traditional CHM as a
> > backup, so you can't completely get rid of in-product help.

Learn more: