Subject: TechWhirl: Technical Communication Recap for December 20, 2013
From: TechWhirl Admin <admin -at- techwhirl -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:23:41 -0500

I think it’s very cool how the leaders and members of our content and
communications communities are filled with the holiday spirit. I had a
sliver of doubt, when I invited so many leading lights to tell us what
they’d like Santa to bring them, that I would get many replies. After all,
these are busy people, with the added pressure of getting stuff done before
year-end and participating in the many normal rituals of the season.

No worries. More than a dozen folks replied, everyone from Kristina
Halvorson and Shep Hyken, to JoAnn Hackos and Jack Molisani, to Tom Johnson
and Noz Urbina, to many of our intrepid and amazing SWU members. Lots of
interesting perspectives on what would make for a great 2014. We invite you
to read them all, and comment on your own Holiday Wish List as well. Yes,
content strategy, and customer experience management.

Take another few minutes to read some great content on DITA, findability,
and etymology and vote in our poll on learning styles. No holiday deadlines
to worry about here. And if there’s a topic you want to see covered, or
would like to cover, drop us a note… we want to know what kinds of
information you’re looking for to help in your job in the New Year. And you
too can be a part of the SWU.

Have a great weekend and a joyous holiday season,

-Connie and the gang at TechWhirl
In Case You Missed it: This Week @ TechWhirl

*New features and articles on <>*

- Tech Writer This Week for December 19, 2013 |
- Word Wise: Etymology Saves the Day, by Marcia Riefer Johnston |
- DITA and Findability: Big ROI and Radical Improvements to the User
Experience, by Kris Eberlein |
- Lightweight DITA: a Preview from Michael Priestley, by Keith Soltys |
- Preferred Ways to Learn (poll) |

*Dear Santa: All I Want for Christmas 2013:*

- Dear Santa: Noz Urbina Wants Speedier Industry Alignment and Focus |
- Dear Santa: A Tech Writer’s Wish List of Stuff |
- Dear Santa: Jack Molisani Asks About Silos, Strategy and Stuff |
- Dear Santa: TechWhirl’s Special Writers Want Just a Few Things |
- Dear Santa: JoAnn Hackos Asks for Info Development Respect |
- Dear Santa: Tom Johnson’s Nearly Impossible Wish List |
- Dear Santa: All I Want for Christmas 2013 Edition |

*Technical Communication news on

- Kumar Vora Joins Acrolinx as CEO, Opens New US Headquarters in Silicon
Valley |

Social Media and the Chance to Follow TechWhirl:

- Our Google Plus Page – what’s happening behind the scenes |
- Will you be our Friend? Please, you know you want to click |
- Want all this TechWhirl goodness a few characters @ a time |
- Updates from TechWhirl delivered to your email in box |
- Or, try our RSS feed (great on Flipboard) |

Sponsored Posts

- MadCap Software: MadCap Flare 9 on Windows 8? No
- Scriptorium: Marginalizing tech comm with four little
- Adobe Systems: Lavacon13 Thought Leaders 4) Component Content
Management and FrameMaker case
- EasyDITA: How to Calculate how much a DITA CMS will Reduce your
Support Costs<>

We want to send a very special “thank you” to our sponsors for their

*Platinum*: Adobe Systems

*Gold: *ComponentOne Software <>, Madcap

*Silver*: Vancouver Island University <>

Helping the world explore the art of content and communications

Follow TechWhirl on
Twitter: @TechWriterToday

Learn more: