RE: [BULK] Re: On the value of glossaries containing terms the audience should already know

Subject: RE: [BULK] Re: On the value of glossaries containing terms the audience should already know
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwrl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 10:41:07 -0500

On the third hand, if you are describing setting up networked equipment for a medical practice or a clinic or lab, you might be crossing boundaries where it could be useful to have a section (a glossary) to confirm what YOU mean when you use the acronyms and initialisms. Otherwise, the Deviated Nasal Septum server might be improperly referenced. :-)

I think "It does not hurt..." is a reasonable approach. It covers the bases at negligible cost, and anybody who doesn't need it won't even see it, on their way to what they [know they] do need.

Also, if you have been doing your bio computations in PERL and C, and are just now looking at switching to Java, you might have both those books on your desk, and might appreciate a glossary.