RE: membership and participation (was RE: ghost town)

Subject: RE: membership and participation (was RE: ghost town)
From: "Hannah Drake" <hannah -at- formulatrix -dot- com>
To: "'McLauchlan, Kevin'" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- cytomedix -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:20:52 -0500

I can't see Lauren's suggestion/question, but I disagree about
20-somethings. Source: I'm a 20-something, and so are my friends. We are all
on Linked In (actually, my profile was one of the top 500 most-viewed last
year apparently, I got a nice little email from LinkedIn), and my friends
use Facebook to post a LOT of pics of their kids, weddings, engagements,
etc. It's more about keeping your entire social base updated on major
happenings in your life, for those that choose to use it. Some people have
cancelled their accounts in favor of trying to go back to more personal
communication, some because it's a time suck. But probably 80% of people
still have it. However, Facebook for business promotion is going by the
wayside, since now every business is on Facebook, and business posts are
hidden by default.

I came across Techwr-l because I was searching for industry related stuff
online. I take pride in my career and wanted to get advice from others and
so on, so I googled, and had no idea about the list serve, but think it's
awesome. It's definitely old school though. I thought these things were
extinct. Didn't techwr-l try to make it a forum and failed?

However, I will say that I don't think it's common for people to do what I
did. It takes a bit to settle into adult life, and then move your focus to,
how do I develop my career, instead of, what am I going to do this weekend?
So it'd be rare for early-mid 20's to do this, less rare, but still rare for
mid-late. I'd say the best bet to promote would be to target people on
Linked In and invite them, or, see what groups they are in, join the group,
and present the opportunity. Further, it's hard to break in to tech writing
as a career from what I saw when I was searching. Usually junior positions
require experience (the old, but how do I get experience if you won't hire
me because I don't have any, deal). I got into it via lateral move.