Re: ghost town

Subject: Re: ghost town
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:57:32 -0500

The mail lists have starved to death in many areas. The introduction of web-based forums and cheap forum software meant that where you used to have a mail list, you can now have dozens of forums on the same topic. The forums are easy to use, with great search engines typically, and you can view the threads easily.

I remember a book in Barnes & Noble in 1994 listing then known mail servers, mail lists, and news groups along with the new web sites. the book was about an inch and a half thick with small type, and the web sites were less than a third of the pages.

I'd imagine 80% of those mail lists are gone today. (no idea really) Many of the email service providers have eliminated the news groups and servers so access has been lost by many.

Still, some mail lists continue, both through company firewalls (it is email, not a restricted web site that gets red flagged) and loyalty from the members.

----- Original Message ----- From: "rebecca officer" <rebecca -dot- officer -at- alliedtelesis -dot- co -dot- nz>