Greasy fingerprints (was Re: Are Tech Writers Valid anymore)

Subject: Greasy fingerprints (was Re: Are Tech Writers Valid anymore)
From: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:22:05 -0600

I'm on my second tablet... the first one was a Motorola Xoom (Android Ice Cream Sandwich). It was a good tablet as far as tablets go (I accidentally dropped it and killed it) but I realized I hate Android. Android is adequate for doing a few things but has so many failings it just doesn't work for me. Having been a Windows guy for way longer than I care to admit, I missed many of the little things I take for granted. There's no way to hover over things to view the tooltips. Highlighting, copying, and pasting is damned-near impossible. There's no decent file explorer substitute (which should be part of the default Android load, not something I have to search out and download).

The Android version of Firefox is dreadful... it's not Firefox as I know it, it's Firefox adapted to Android by eliminating a number of regular features.

For some reason, pretty much all Android applications bypass the use of drop-down list boxes and radio buttons, making them way harder to use than the Windows versions of similar tools.

When I broke the Xoom, I was looking for a replacement and inadvertently happened on a tablet that actually runs Windows 7. That plus a portable mouse that I can plug into the new tablet's USB port, and I'm right in an environment where I'm comfortable. I can use it without the mouse but it's so much better with it. No greasy fingerprints required. In addition, I've been able to install most of the handy tools I love.

Best Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Starr, Writer
Technical Writer - Online Help Developer - WordPress Websites

On 2/21/2014 10:34 AM, Gene Kim-Eng wrote:

Now, if only UI designers would get it through their skulls that desktop users with 27" monitors don't want to have to spend all their time wiping greasy fingerprints off their screens, and don't want UI's that can't display more than two working programs at the same time...

Gene Kim-Eng
Doc-To-Help: new website, content widgets, and an output that works on any screen.

Learn more: http://bit.ly/1eRs4NS