Re: Software engineers and FM12

Subject: Re: Software engineers and FM12
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:49:04 -0500

It's been a couple of years since I used Frame, but I do remember that the
ramp up was steep. But once you learn your way around, OMG, did I love
using Frame!

I've got a couple of book recommendations to help get you over the learning
curve. I remember that when I was learning, we used the Adobe Classroom in
a Book for FrameMaker, and I recall that working through the exercises was
an excellent introduction to the tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-FrameMaker-11-Classroom-Book-ebook/dp/B00AVWL9I4/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393515725&sr=1-1&keywords=framemaker

I also have very fond memories of using a coworker's copy of FrameMaker 7:
The Complete Reference to solve almost any question I had about
FrameMaker. It was long out of print, else I'd have my own copy. Now
available as ePub.

http://store.scriptorium.com/items/books/publishing-fundamentals-framemaker-7-formerly-framemaker-7-the-complete-reference-bkfm7_pdf-detail.htm

I haven't read it, but I would assume that Publishing
Fundamentals:Unstructured FrameMaker 11 is the updated version of that
book, as it's put out by the same folks.

http://store.scriptorium.com/items/books/publishing-fundamentals-unstructured-framemaker-11-epub-detail.htm

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 6:15 PM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>wrote:

> FrameMaker 12 apparently bundles a subset of RoboHelp including the
> part that generates MS HTML Help (.chm) from FrameMaker source, much
> as previous releases incorporated a subset of Acrobat.
>
> The developer should not need FrameMaker to incorporate the .chm you
> generate from FrameMaker into the application.
>
> Assuming the capabilities are the same as when using FM with RoboHelp,
> this explains things from the developer's perspective:
>

> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/RoboHelp/9.0/RoboHTML/WSFE586D66-E937-45bd-9F7B-3425A0D02B42.htmll
>
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Michele Glover
> <MGlover -at- maxcessintl -dot- com> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > I've been a long-time lurker here and now it's time for me to overcome
> my cyber-shyness and ask a question. Thanks so far for all the great
> conversations and wealth of information. Please bear with me and a little
> backstory:
> > I am a lone writer at a small mechanical engineering and manufacturing
> company. We make components for the web converting industry - slitting and
> winding non-woven web materials. I use MS Word and manuals are usually
> under 50 pages, dealing with all things mechanical. However, we do have a
> handful of automated systems for which two developers write motion control
> software and design GUIs. Up until now, we have built those manuals as
> master documents in Word (aaaarrggggh!) so that we can compile a .chm to
> include with the UI.
> > Well. I am done with that. I am not wasting any more time with Word
> formatting and macros and section breaks and whatever else. My counterpart
> in Germany uses Framemaker and I am planning to switch asap (in spite of my
> fear). One of our software engineers is certain that he needs a FM license
> also so that he can provide context-sensitive help with the .chm. I'm
> trying to figure out if this is true, and why I'm resistant to the idea.
> >
> > 1. Does FM12 allow me to provide the necessary topic mapping and
> IDs? Or does he provide them for me so I can output a complete .chm? (I
> don't really know how it works.)
> >
> > 2. I write all the content and we do face-to-face review. What are
> the needs/benefits around him having a license? (Considering the cost, I
> just can't imagine what he would use FM for on a regular basis.)
> >
> > 3. Would it accelerate my learning curve to have a developer on my
> side? I worry a little about him taking over control of how the docs should
> be built and how FM should be used.
> > FWIW, we are moving to Team Foundation for version control.
> > Use small words and short sentences, please - this stuff is pretty new
> to me in my world of mechanical marvels.
> > Many thanks,
> Doc-To-Help: new website, content widgets, and an output that works on any
> screen.
>
> Learn more: http://bit.ly/1eRs4NS

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> [...]

Julie Stickler
http://heratech.wordpress.com/
Blogging about Agile and technical writing